Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Review: Everneath by Brodi Ashton

Everneath by Brodi Ashton
Series: Everneath #1
Publisher: Balzer + Bray (HarperCollins)
Expected Publication: January 24th, 2012
Source: NetGalley
Format: eARC
Pages: 384
Goodreads Summary:
Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.

As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's...

My Rating: 4.5 / 5

First thoughts:
I love mythology and with her debut novel Everneath, Brodi Ashton has delivered a very unique approach. Soon I was bewitched by the Everneath and pulled into the story by the unusual use of ancient myths. I devoured this novel as fast as possible and fell in love with its heartbreaking beauty.

More detailed:
Everneath is a wonderful novel, which makes me want to get my hands on the sequel as soon as possible. Nikki Beckett spent hundred years in the Everneath and returns to her old life to realize that only six months have passed on the Surface. She didn't come back to stay though, but to try to make amends and maybe find redemption before being claimed be the Everneath forever.

While reading Everneath time passes faster than usual as Brodi Ashton's style of writing and pacing never slows down and keeps the reader's interest. The beginning might be a little bit confusing, but in retrospect I loved the fact that we get to witness the key moment immediately and no time is wasted with unnecessary introductions.

I'd hate to be in Nikki's situation and I truly felt for her. It took a while for me to get used to the first-person narration from her point of view, because it felt a little bit rushed in the beginning, but soon I got used to it and was able to identify with Nikki and her feelings.

I'm not really sure what to feel about either love interest. While I have developed a huge weakness for Jack and how he (and often just his presence) helped Nikki to cope and to fight, I have to admit that there's something special about Cole as well. But I'd love to get to know the latter a bit more, because at the moment it's hard to say just how far his feelings for Nikki go.

All in all, Everneath is a must-read for 2012. Once I was finished I pre-ordered a finished copy of this, because this does not only have an incredibly gorgeous cover, but a wonderful story that I can't wait for to be continued. If you love unqiue takes on mythology, be sure to get a copy soon - you'll definitely like it!

Challenge(s):
Debut Author Challenge 2012 
YA Mythology Challenge 2012 

Find Brodi Ashton and Everneath online:

Homepage | Goodreads (author) | Twitter
Goodreads (book) | Trailer

Have you read Everneath already? What did you think about it?
Do you plan to read it?
Carina

6 comments:

  1. it sounds amazing! I can't wait to read it, I heard a lot of awesome things about this book and I just love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw great review Carina! I loved this one too and I adored Jack. I though Cole was an ass! haha. But I'm so curious to see what's going to happen now. I think my feelings for Cole may change. We'll see. Glad you liked it as much as I did!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited to read this one! It's definitely on my TBR :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review :D I have pre-ordered this one (A) It seems amazing. But oh, as always, I am beyond worried about the kind of love triangle.. :\ Don't really like those at all. But still hoping this might be a good book :) <3
    Love, Carina

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm dying to get my hands on the sequel for this as well! It was such a good read, and so different. :) So glad that you like it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know many really loved Cole but I just couldn't connect with him sadly. I felt for him, but for me there was only Jack as a love interest! And the ending truly broke my heart. Cannot wait for the sequel now! I need it so badly. I agree about the beginning being a bit confusing though, but it quickly pulled me in after that! I truly loved this one!

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!