Monday, January 30, 2012

Fictional Distractions of the Week #14


Welcome to Fictional Distractions of the Week. It is inspired by Book Journey's It's Monday! What are you reading? and Fiktshun's My Reading Pile and it will show you what I'm planning to read during the next week.


The books I plan to read this week:

At first I'll finish I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella. It's been so long since I've read a Chick Lit novel and I especially realized how much I missed reading Sophie's writing. If you like her books or want to read a very amusing Chick Lit novel, you should definitely pick this up next month!
Goodreads Summary:
I've lost it. The only thing in the world I wasn't supposed to lose. My engagement ring. It's been in Magnus's family for three generations. And now, the very same day his parents are coming, I've lost it. The very same day. Do not hyperventilate Poppy. Stay positive!!

Poppy Wyatt has never felt luckier. She is about to marry the ideal man, Magnus Tavish, but in one afternoon her 'happy ever after' begins to fall apart. Not only has she lost her engagement ring but in the panic that followed, she has now lost her phone. As she paces shakily round the hotel foyer she spots an abandoned phone in a bin. Finders keepers! Now she can leave a number for the hotel to contact her when they find her ring. Perfect!

Well, perfect except the phone's owner, businessman Sam Roxton doesn't agree. He wants his phone back and doesn't appreciate Poppy reading all his messages and wading into his personal life.

What ensues is a hilarious and unpredictable turn of events as Poppy and Sam increasingly upend each other's lives through emails and text messages. As Poppy juggles wedding preparations, mysterious phone calls and hiding her left hand from Magnus and his parents... she soon realises that she is in for the biggest surprise of her life.

I had actually planned to start Stolen Away by Alyxandra Harvey last week, but then I got approved for I've Got Your Number on NetGalley and wanted to read that first. I'm still a little bit skeptical about whether I'll like Stolen Away or not, because I've heard quite a few mixed things about this so far.
Goodreads Summary:
For seventeen years, Eloise Hart had no idea the world of Faery even existed. Now she has been abducted and trapped in the Rath of Lord Strahan, King of Faery. Strahan was only meant to rule for seven years, as Faery tradition dictates, and then give up his crown to another. But he won't comply, and now chaos threatens both worlds.

The only one who can break his stranglehold on the Faery court is his wife. . . Eloise's aunt Antonia. Using Eloise to lure Antonia, Strahan captures his wife, desperate to end the only threat to his reign. Now Eloise must become the rescuer. Together with her best friends Jo and Devin, she must forge alliances with other Fae, including a gorgeous protector named Lucas, and Strahan's mysterious son, Eldric-who may or may not betray them.

And despite having to learn way too much, I'm also hoping to start Getting Over Garrett Delaney by Abby McDonald, which sounds like such an amazing feel-good-read. Crossing my fingers that I'll have enough time this week.
Goodreads Summmary:
Can a twelve-step program help Sadie kick her unrequited crush for good? Abby McDonald serves up her trademark wit and wisdom in a hilarious new novel.

Seventeen-year-old Sadie is in love: epic, heartfelt, and utterly onesided. The object of her obsession - ahem, affection - is her best friend, Garrett Delaney, who has been oblivious to Sadie's feelings ever since he sauntered into her life and wowed her with his passion for Proust (not to mention his deep-blue eyes). For two long, painful years, Sadie has been Garrett's constant companion, sharing his taste in everything from tragic Russian literature to art films to '80s indie rock - all to no avail. But when Garrett leaves for a summer literary retreat, Sadie is sure that the absence will make his heart grow fonder - until he calls to say he's fallen in love. With some other girl!

A heartbroken Sadie realizes that she's finally had enough. It's time for total Garrett detox! Aided by a barista job, an eclectic crew of new friends (including the hunky chef, Josh), and a customized selfhelp guide, Sadie embarks on a summer of personal reinvention full of laughter, mortifying meltdowns, and a double shot of love.


What are your Fictional Distractions of the Week?

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm super curious about more Sophie Kinsella books! I've read one, but I truly enjoyed it and wish I had the time and money to get to more right away. I hope it's good! I'll be looking forward to hear what you think. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great set of books to be "distracted" by. I'm working on reading quite a few titles this week - hopefully I insert Catching Jordan somewhere in there ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catching Jordan! I love this book, so I really hope that you'll like it, too. :) Have a lovely week!

      Delete
  3. I had't heard of this new Sophie Kinsella it sounds good. I read Stolen Away a earlier this month and thought it was good but not her best. Hope you enjoy your week of reading :)

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!