Monday, January 9, 2012

Fictional Distractions of the Week #11


Welcome to Fictional Distractions of the Week. It is inspired by Book Journey's It's Monday! What are you reading? and Fiktshun's My Reading Pile and it will show you what I'm planning to read during the next week.


The books I plan to read this week:

At first I want to finish Dearly, Departed by Lia Habel. This is a quite long book, but I hope to read a bit more next week (despite the learning I have to get done).
Goodreads Summary:
Love conquers all, so they say. But can Cupid’s arrow pierce the hearts of the living and the dead—or rather, the undead? Can a proper young Victorian lady find true love in the arms of a dashing zombie?

The year is 2195. The place is New Victoria—a high-tech nation modeled on the manners, mores, and fashions of an antique era. A teenager in high society, Nora Dearly is far more interested in military history and her country’s political unrest than in tea parties and debutante balls. But after her beloved parents die, Nora is left at the mercy of her domineering aunt, a social-climbing spendthrift who has squandered the family fortune and now plans to marry her niece off for money. For Nora, no fate could be more horrible—until she’s nearly kidnapped by an army of walking corpses.

But fate is just getting started with Nora. Catapulted from her world of drawing-room civility, she’s suddenly gunning down ravenous zombies alongside mysterious black-clad commandos and confronting “The Laz,” a fatal virus that raises the dead—and hell along with them. Hardly ideal circumstances. Then Nora meets Bram Griswold, a young soldier who is brave, handsome, noble . . . and dead. But as is the case with the rest of his special undead unit, luck and modern science have enabled Bram to hold on to his mind, his manners, and his body parts. And when his bond of trust with Nora turns to tenderness, there’s no turning back. Eventually, they know, the disease will win, separating the star-crossed lovers forever. But until then, beating or not, their hearts will have what they desire.

I'm also hoping to start (and maybe finish) Everneath by Brodi Ashton. I've been wanting to read this ever since I first saw the cover and read the summary and the many positive reviews for this make me want to read it immediately.
Goodreads Summary:
Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.

As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's...


What are your Fictional Distractions of the Week?
 

5 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read the review about "Dearly, departed".
    My fictional distraction will be "Delirium" by Lauren Oliver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For this week, I'm focusing on a lot of review novels, mostly self-published ones! There's a great variety, so I'm sure I won't get bored ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Dearly, Departed. I really have been wanting to read Everneath too, but the copy that I won still hasn't come in yet. I am reading Fracture right now and I am not sure what I will read next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to read Everneath so I will be looking out for your review. Hope you enjoy your week of reading:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearly Departed was SO good! I hope you enjoy it, and Everneath as well! :)

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!