Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday #36: Monstrous Beauty by Elizabeth Fama


"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

Monstrous Beauty by Elizabeth Fama
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)
Expected Publication: August 21st, 2012
Pages: 304
Goodreads Summary:
Fierce, seductive mermaid Syrenka falls in love with Ezra, a young naturalist. When she abandons her life underwater for a chance at happiness on land, she is unaware that this decision comes with horrific and deadly consequences. Almost one hundred forty years later, seventeen-year-old Hester meets a mysterious stranger named Ezra and feels overwhelmingly, inexplicably drawn to him. For generations, love has resulted in death for the women in her family. Is it an undiagnosed genetic defect . . . or a curse? With Ezra’s help, Hester investigates her family’s strange, sad history. The answers she seeks are waiting in the graveyard, the crypt, and at the bottom of the ocean—but powerful forces will do anything to keep her from uncovering her connection to Syrenka and to the tragedy of so long ago.

This sounds like a really mysterious and captivating story - I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of this. I love mermaid stories even though I haven't read many of them and I definitely need to read more. :)

What are you waiting for this Wednesday?
Carina

You should enter my international New Year Giveaway:
One winner will get to choose one of 15 awesome YA releases, e.g. Shatter Me, Clockwork Prince, Everneath, Under the Never Sky, Hallowed, and more.

20 comments:

  1. This one sounds really good, not to mention I love the cover. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cover! It's pretty! The story sounds a lot different from others, which is interesting! Great choice! Thank you for sharing!

    Sam
    Books For All Seasons

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pick! It's beautiful & sounds good, too.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Here's mine: http://thebookishbabes.blogspot.com/2011/12/waiting-on-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pick. I love the sound of it :)

    Here are my WOW picks.

    Kat
    Wit and Sin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love mermaids and the cover of this book looks amazing. Great WoW choice!


    Take a look at my WoW.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous cover! It sounds really mysterious, thanks for sharing :o)

    My pick this week
    Vicky
    Books, Biscuits & Tea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh Love this cover!! <3 This does sound mysterious I haven't read too many mermaid books either.

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been hearing about this one more and more lately and it is definitely starting to get me interested. The cover is really pretty and it sounds like a great book. I may be adding this to my TBR list soon. My WoW http://booklovingme.blogspot.com/2011/12/waitning-on-wednesday-www-wednesday-12.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have yet to love a mermaid story, maybe this will be the first? Great pick, Carina :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Most of the books in this genre don't really pull me in, but I have to say I'm intrigued by the description for this one. Thanks for the suggestion. Please check out my WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That cover is so stunning and I have to read a book involving mermaids...I really need to get on that. Excellent pick, Carina!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the cover! I haven´t read a book about mermaid yet.
    I think I need to read one,thanks.
    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't even need to read the summary to add this to my TBR shelf - what a gorgeous cover!! Having read the summary though, I'm even more excited - I can't wait for all these mermaid books of 2012 :)

    Waiting on Wednesday @ Radiant Shadows

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're right! I love the mystery behind this. Plus, um, IT'S MERMAIDS. Not that it hasn't escaped your notice or anything, but that just makes it more alluring.

    Have an amazing reading week, Carina!

    - Asher (from Paranormal Indulgence)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a beautiful cover, it seems Mermaids and such are the new trend nowadays.

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeah, ever since I first heard about it I thought it's sounded reeeal good as well. I'm most definitely intrigued! o:

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't wait for this one because the story really sounds amazing---but I think I may be in the minority opinion on the cover. Actually not a big fan of it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm definitely intrigued. Come to think of it, I haven't read any mermaid story yet except Little Mermaid. :D But that doesn't count, right?

    Sarah @ Smitten over Books

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!