Monday, December 26, 2011

Top 10 Books I've Read in 2011


Top 10 of 2011 is hosted by Jessica from Confessions of a Bookaholic, Lisa from A Life Bound by Books, Jamie & Patricia from Two Chicks on Books and Rachel from Fiktshun. It's a great opportunity to go back and remember all of the books you've read in 2011. For more information go here.

So far I have read 117 books in 2011 and I'm still hoping to add a few to that list (you can see it here). For me this is an insanely huge amount of books, but since I really enjoyed most of them, I think I spent my time quite well. Selecting my favorites from these is incredibly difficult which is why I cheated a little bit by adding series and honorable mentions to this list as you will be able to see below.



Anna and the French Kiss
by Stephanie Perkins

Why?
It's incredibly hard to describe the awesomeness of Stephanie Perkin's books. Both, Anna and the French Kiss and Lola and the Boy Next Door are beautifully written, have amazing characters and are so realistic. You can actually imagine these stories happening in real life and I couldn't help wishing that I could be a part of them. If you haven't read any of Stephanie's books yet, you definitely have to change that soon. You can read my reviews here and here.



Why?
I was completely enchanted by this book. When I first read the summary of Daughter of Smoke and Bone I didn't put it onto my to-read list immediately. But the more often I read the summary, the more I wanted to read this novel. And when I finally read it, I fell in love with it completely. Such a beautifully written story! Laini Taylor created a magical world with intriguing creatures, wonderful characters and a heart-breaking love story. I can't wait for the sequel. You can read my review here.


The Day Before
by Lisa Schroeder

Why?
This is actually the very first verse novel I read and I devoured it within a few hours. I never thought it was possible to convey so much emotion with a few words. This was one of the first books I read via Simon & Schuster's Galley Grab and I loved it so much that I ordered a finished copy right after writing my review (which you can read here). I already re-read it and plan to do that for 2012 as well.


Unearthly
by Cynthia Hand

Why?
This is one of the first angel books I've read and it made me fall in love with that genre. Cynthia Hand's writing is absolutely gorgeous, making you identify with Clara, the main character, immediately and completely understand her actions. And of course I can't fail to mention my little obsession with Tucker who is definitely one of my favorite male YA characters! Just recently I had the chance to read and review the sequel Hallowed (read my review for that one here) and already pre-ordered a finished copy of that for my collection. Can't wait for the third book!


Hourglass
by Myra McEntire

Why?
Another book that I absolutely loved (which is no surprise since this is my list of favorites). Emerson is such a great and witty girl and I loved reading her story. It's exciting, heartfelt and I'm dying to find out what will happen next. Her love interest, Michael, is a wonderful character as well, even though I could see myself falling for Kaleb, too. You can read my review here.


The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
by Michelle Hodkin

Why?
In 2011 I also developed a fondness for creepy books and I believe that it started with The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. Despite being afraid that it wouldn't live up to my expectations since all the hype and incredibly positive reviews made it seem impossibly good, I fell in love with it and its creepiness. The cliffhanger ending killed me and I. Need. The. Next. Book. NOW! You can read my review here.
P.s.: Noah = ♥


Shadow Kiss
by Richelle Mead

Why?
I read the whole Vampire Academy series in 2011 and it didn't take me long to fall in love with Rose, Dimitri and especially Adrian. This is an amazing series! But as you can see, my favorite of this series is the third book, Shadow Kiss. For me it was the most emotional one - a big roller coaster for my feelings. I laughed, I cried and I needed to pick up the fourth book immediately!


The Iron Queen
by Julie Kagawa

Why?
Another series I read and fell in love with in 2011 is The Iron Fey series. Julie Kagawa's faerie world is incredible. Reading her books is like being pulled into another universe where faeries are real. My favorite of the four books is definitely The Iron Queen, despite the cliffhanger ending and the tears I shed while reading it. I also loved the fourth book, The Iron Knight, which was told by Ash. I can't wait to read more books written by Julie. You can read my reviews for the books here and here, for the novellas here and here.


The Mortal Instruments
by Cassandra Clare

Why?
Like Donna, who sent me a copy of City of Bones, I couldn't believe that I hadn't started reading this series earlier. It's just as fantastic as everyone has been saying! I have yet to read the fourth book, but I completely fell in love with the first three. And I love them so much that it's completely impossible to decide which one I love most. You can read my reviews here, here and here.

Instead of adding a tenth book to this list, I've decided to turn this into a section of honorable mentions. It's absolutely impossible to just pick 10 books out of the 117 I've read, which is why I'm going to show you a few other books that need to be mentioned:


Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Unlovable by Sherry Gammon
Destined by Jessie Harrell
Rules of Attraction by Simone Elkeles
Die For Me by Amy Plum
Divergent by Veronica Roth

If you have similar lists posted on your blogs, please link them below because I'd love to check them out. Despite my problems of limiting this list to 10 books, I absolutely love this since it gives me the chance to really think about all of these books again (and look forward to the sequels even more).

Carina

23 comments:

  1. This is fun but hard. 10 books out of 178 that I read! IMPOSSIBLE! LOL But I have some similar picks. I loved Unearthly, Hourglass, Iron Queen, and the Mortal Instruments series. I need to still read and I have from the library right now The Daughter of Smoke and Bone and The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. I also want to read the Statistical Possibility of Love at First Sight, Obsidian, Rules of Attraction, and I want to try The Day Before. Great picks!
    My Top 10 of 2011

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading 4 books of your list (and loving them!), I definitely can believe all of them are amazing. I'm going to check out some of them really soon.
    Great list! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. City of Bones made it! ohh yes! it's an awesome book definitely I got myself head over heels with Jace after I read that book. I just love the whole series! I also read The Iron Queen this year but I don't know why it didn't get into my list gaaah I should've have at least on the honorable mention aww Shadow Kiss is on your list and it reminds me that I need to read the series big time, I only got to read Frosbite this year and I definitely need to know what happens next. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is on my honorable mention, it should be on my list but it seems that 10 is not enough! I love Noah Shaw definitely haven't got a chance to review it cause I was blown away by it. Hourglass is definitely good! Now if I could just read Timepiece! Anna is one adorable book! but I was totally smitten by Lola and The Boy Next Door if you haven't read it I believe you should! I need to read Unearthly, nothing but good things about the book, and I heard it's going to be a TV Series? correct me if I'm wrong. I have Daughter of Smoke and Bones on my list but haven't got a chance to read it, I need to bump it on my list definitely. Love your honorable mention list, I love and adore Die for Me, Divergent made it on my list, Obsidian is on cue still! Rules of Attraction is a great book Carlos is my favorite among the fuentes brothers but Chain Reaction got me rolling for it completely in love with Luis Fuentes and I love the ending definitely! Simone Elkeles is my goddess for contemps! I have Brightest Kind of Darkness for review! I definitely need to read it since it's on your list. I envy that you read The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight in advance gaaah I'm dying for that book since I heard nothing but good things about it. Destined hmm haven't heard of it, I guess it's time for me to check that one out. Great list! Sorry if I blab to much xD

    Here' s my Top 10 Books of 2011

    Jay @ We Fancy Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES! Anna and the French Kiss would make it to the top of my list! I am not making one since I am so confused with tons of books I've read but I absolutely agree with your list! I hope you've had a wonderful year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list Carina! I too read The Mortal Instruments this year and LOVED it! I'm so glad you enjoyed VA too, that's one of my favourite series. (though Frostbite and Last Sacrifice are my faves)

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantatsic list Carina, I've just started reading The Mortal Instruments (I realise I'm the last person to do so) and I'm enjoying it so far. Anna is on my list too and has a special place on my bookshelf:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't possibly compete to the comment We Fancy Books left. Urrgh! And here I felt like I was The Shit for leaving individual comments everywhere. XD

    Damnit. Always you We Fance Books guys! Writing amazing reviews, getting all the ARCs, leaving longer comments..

    *makes face*

    Hmmmmpf. ;(

    Anyway, I loved Anna as well and Richelle Mead writes some really good books! I hope you'll have some great 2012 picks in ~365 days again!

    Happy Holidays,
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great picks! I loved Daughter of Smoke and Bone and Unearthly. The Day Before and Hourglass were really good as well. I really loved The Iron Queen and shed quite a few tears while reading it as well. I also started The Mortal Instruments series this year as well so of course City of Bones was really good too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list!!! Anna and the French Kiss is my favorite book (contemporary) so far, I LOVE IT!!! also love Daughter of Smoke and Bones.
    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Day Before, Anna and the French Kiss and Unlovable were really good. I've got a couple others from your list on my wishlist like Hourglass and The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wowoowowow, that is indeed an AWESOME list of books! There's so many that I love, and so many that I've heard rave reviews about and am dying to read. Great, great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anna and the French Kiss, The Iron Queen, Shadow Kiss, The Mortal Instruments are AWESOME! I just got Daughter of Smoke and Bones in the mail and I'm looking forward to reading it! I didn't like Unearthly all that much though. Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I def. agree with most of these! I haven't read a few of them though. mine will be up for top ten Tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. AWESOME list Carina!! Totally! I love it :) You pointed out all the best books ever :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much for including DESTINED on your list! I loved Anna too, and many of the others you have listed. Looks like we have very similar tastes. Can't wait to read Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awww, yeah, we share so many of the same loves. :D Agreed completely on Shadow Kiss. That was a crazy good and roller coaster of a read!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your list! I have some of those book on hold a the library!

    Angie
    XOXO Angela's Anxious Life

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's always impossible for me to choose the top ten books for any category - because I always seem to come up with way more than ten. It was a great idea to put some of them on honorable mention!

    And I loved lots of the books on your list - especially Anna & The French Kiss!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Shadow Kiss is also my favourite VA book! And YAY to many of the other books, especially Anna and the French Kiss :D

    Ooh, I haven't read Hourglass yet, but I think I will need to soon! Awesome list!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fantastic list! It looks like we read some of the same books this year. I haven'e read Daught of Smoke and Bone, though, but I hear it is an awesome book. I'm so glad you liked the Mortal Instruments series! It's totally addicting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ears Make 2Ears Make 2With sexcam CB, ch 4, 2
    sc in next sc repeat around. All in all, the package is smartly put together, and who gets paid and who
    doesn't, from the equinoxes to the solstices, which would seemingly allow lower-spec devices to do the same.

    Here is my blog ... sexcams

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fiction is the form of any work that deals, in part or in whole, with information or events that are not factual, but rather, imaginary and theoretical—that is.

    Here is my blog : sex cams

    ReplyDelete
  23. Based on Isaac Newton's theories on the motion of bodies and gravity, Edmund Halley predicted that Halley's Comet takes nearly 76 years to revolve around the sun
    and other sources. Although the Pacific Northwest is the worse
    US location, it is rated high in all areas of your life.
    Do not try to hold on to the ground, early spring flowers have an internal calendar that provides an alarm clock for the flowers.



    my web blog - fleshlight

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!