Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Review: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
by Jennifer E. Smith
Publisher: Headline UK
Expected Publication: January 5th, 2012
Source: Received from publisher
Format: Bound manuscript
Pages: 240
Goodreads Summary:
Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?


Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18C. Hadley's in 18A.

Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.

My Rating: 5.0 / 5

First thoughts:
I enjoyed it so much that I pre-ordered a finished copy of this even before I started writing this review. It was everything I expected it to be: sweet, heartfelt, romantic and with a lovely hint of humour and heartbreak. If you like contemporary stories and thought about getting this novel, do it - I'm sure you won't regret it!

More detailed:
The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight got quite a few positive reviews in the past weeks and months and with every hyped book I was scared whether it would live up to my expectations. It did! An airport romance sounds like something taken out of a movie and to be honest, I can definitely imagine this being turned into one.

The main characters, Hadley and Oliver, are two normal people meeting under not-really-unusual circumstances. After Hadley misses her flight she meets Oliver who will be on the same plane as her. Talking to a stranger in such a situation might not be unusual, but the bond that develops between them is. The time they spend together and the way they continue to meet again creates a beautiful plot which kept me turning the pages.

This story is told from Hadley's point of view and does not only concentrate on the very realistically developing relationship between her and Oliver. It also puts an emphasis on Hadley's relationship to her father who left her and her mother to be with another woman. Her continually changing feelings toward his second wedding are a wonderful process to witness and give this novel a three-dimensional feeling.

What I loved most about this was the positive feeling I got while reading it. Despite Hadley and Oliver's negative and painful experiences, this novel is full of hope. It never fails to convey how a single person can make you happy and turn an awful day into a happy one. Their story is incredibly beautiful and I'm sure I'll remember it for a long time.

All in all, I definitely want to recommend The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight to everyone. It doesn't matter whether you believe in love at first sight - if you like contemporary novels, I'm sure you'll love this. It's another book that should not be missing on your 2012-to-read-lists!



Have you read The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight? What did you think about it?
Do you plan to read it?
Carina

7 comments:

  1. I've heard nothing but amazing things about this one and it definitely sounds like a fantastic contemporary read. I'll definitely be picking up a copy when it comes out. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read it recently and reviewed it on my blog too! Here's the link if you want to check it out: http://forget8me8not.blogspot.com/2011/12/37-book-review-statistical-probability.html

    Absolutely loved it. I fell in love with cover at first sight! (LOL!) I needed more of this book. My ARC edition had about 250 pages and I wanted to read more about what happens after that! Really enjoyed reading this one and the cover is just adorable!

    Awesome review, Carina!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh another positive review about this book! I want to read this book so badly. Great review! :)

    Sarah @ Smitten over Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww great review Carina I reviewed this today as well and I loved it as much as you did! It's certainly a feel-good book that was perfect for the holidays!! <3

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh, I love it when a book has you ordering a finished copy right after finishing it! That's definitely proof of a good, addicting book. I will definitely have to put it on my wishlist. o: It sounds REAL good. Great review, C!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eeeeeeeeeee, so excited to read this! I've been eagerly counting down to it and my copy finally arrived today. Your review has me infinitely more excited -- I am so happy it ended up working for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book sounds so great! I have heard so many good thingsa bout it. :) I am really looking forward to checking it out. :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the book!

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!