Friday, December 16, 2011

Review: Hallowed by Cynthia Hand

Hallowed by Cynthia Hand
Series: Unearthly #2
Publisher: HarperCollins
Expected Publication: January 17th, 2012
Source: NetGalley
Format: eARC
Pages: 416
Goodreads Summary:
For months part-angel Clara Gardner trained to face the raging forest fire from her visions and rescue the alluring and mysterious Christian Prescott from the blaze. But nothing could prepare her for the fateful decisions she would be forced to make that day, or the startling revelation that her purpose—the task she was put on earth to accomplish—is not as straightforward as she thought. Now, torn between her increasingly complicated feelings for Christian and her love for her boyfriend, Tucker, Clara struggles to make sense of what she was supposed to do the day of the fire. And, as she is drawn further into the world of part angels and the growing conflict between White Wings and Black Wings, Clara learns of the terrifying new reality that she must face: Someone close to her will die in a matter of months. With her future uncertain, the only thing Clara knows for sure is that the fire was just the beginning.

My Rating: 4.5 / 5

First thoughts:
Since I fell in love with Unearthly completely, I had high expectations for its sequel. And Cynthia Hand didn't disappoint me: her writing style is still just as gorgeous, making me feel everything Clara feels and making me cry. I can't wait for the third book in this series, which is definitely one of my favorite series.

More detailed:
In Hallowed we continue to follow Clara on her journey to find out more about her purpose and what it's like to be an angel-blood. The information we get about some aspects of her life are often huge surprises I never expected, making me turn the pages as fast as possible - especially towards the end.

It's hard to write this review without giving away too much. So many interesting things are happening during this novel and still I'm left with uncountable questions which make the wait for the third novel unbearable. Especially the character development during Hallowed was intense, making me see new sides to some characters, which forced me to change my opinion about them.

The most intriguing part about Hallowed was the love triangle. I'm one of those people who occasionally enjoy a well written one, but after finishing Unearthly I had always been scared of Clara developing any serious feelings for Christian. I'm a Tucker girl and in some way I still am after reading Hallowed, but Cynthia Hand managed to make me curious about Christian. I'm definitely looking forward to see how Clara's feelings will develop in the third novel.

I had read a few reviews for Hallowed before starting it myself and all of them told me that it is a very sad novel. After finishing it, I can completely agree with everyone. Clara is often confronted with much sorrow and pain and reading these parts made me cry. But for me, crying because of a book means that this book is exceptionally well written and this definitely applies to Hallowed.

All in all, this is a wonderful sequel to Unearthly. I still love the first book more and the much information might seem a little bit boring for some readers, but Hallowed made sure that this series is still one of my favorites. If you liked the first book, you should definitely pick up the second. And if you haven't even read Unearthly, you need to change this as soon as possible!

Books in this series:

1. Unearthly
2. Hallowed

Have you read Hallowed? What did you think about it?
Do you plan to read it?
Carina

5 comments:

  1. I read Hallowed a while back. I really enjoyed it but didn't think it was amazing. I liked it a lot more than Unearthly though! Tucker Avery is <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I can't wait to read this book, Carina! Great review, and now I'm curious about Christian more than ever :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent review Carina I agree with it all I loved the character development in this one and I also saw my attitude change towards them. I'm pretty sure I'm still team Tucker though and really curious to find out where the relationship is going to go.

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im jealous!!!!!! I want to read it so badly!! thanks lord is coming out soon! Im so glad you liked it! Though I dont think is weird you still prefer the first one. Im getting use to read second books in series that are good but not as good as the first volume XD. Yet, I still liked them =9. I think I'll like this one too! thanks for the awesome review my dear! muah!!!

    Dazzling Reads

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read Hallowed, and like you I liked Unearthly more. And I'm also on Team Tucker but I'm really glad that in Hallowed, we got to learn more about Christian. :)

    Great review!

    Sarah @ Smitten over Books

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!