Friday, December 23, 2011

Review: Fracture by Megan Miranda

Fracture by Megan Miranda
Publisher: Walker Books (Bloomsbury)
Expected Publication: January 17th, 2012
Source: NetGalley
Format: eARC
Pages: 272
Goodreads Summary:
Eleven minutes passed before Delaney Maxwell was pulled from the icy waters of a Maine lake by her best friend Decker Phillips. By then her heart had stopped beating. Her brain had stopped working. She was dead. And yet she somehow defied medical precedent to come back seemingly fine
-despite the scans that showed significant brain damage. Everyone wants Delaney to be all right, but she knows she's far from normal. Pulled by strange sensations she can't control or explain, Delaney finds herself drawn to the dying. Is her altered brain now predicting death, or causing it?

Then Delaney meets Troy Varga, who recently emerged from a coma with similar abilities. At first she's reassured to find someone who understands the strangeness of her new existence, but Delaney soon discovers that Troy's motives aren't quite what she thought. Is their gift a miracle, a freak of nature-or something much more frightening?

For fans of best-sellers like Before I Fall and If I Stay, this is a fascinating and heart-rending story about love and friendship and the fine line between life and death.

My Rating: 4.5 / 5

First thoughts:
I had heard good things about this before starting it and it definitely lived up to my expectations. It was creepy and heart-breaking but conveyed hope at the same time - a mixture I really enjoyed. The only thing I didn't like was the somewhat open ending. But besides that Fracture was a great novel that you should read!

More detailed:
Fracture is a thought-provoking and emotional read which I devoured as quickly as possible. Delaney's experiences after her accident kept me intrigued and I was hoping for her to be happy again until the very last page.

This novel is told from Delaney's point of view by a first person narrator. She has a very relatable voice which is easy to follow and makes it possible to understand her and her motivations quite fast. She is in a situation not many people have (luckily) ever been in after having survived an accident even though everyone expected her to die.

After this accident her life is turned upside down by her new ability to sense death. It takes a while for her to figure out what is happening to her, but even before her realization she asks many thought-provoking questions. Throughout the novel she is wondering about life and death and about what makes someone human. People who love thinking about philosophical questions will love Fracture.

Not only does Fracture concentrate on Delaney's feelings, but highlights her family and friends' reactions to her accident and to the obvious changes in her. It's interesting to follow how her parents start treating her differently and how her friends change their attitudes toward her. Megan Miranda managed to capture these things perfectly, making me feel exactly like Delaney in certain scenes - happy, sad, exasperated.

It also has a perfect mixture of different characters who are realistic: some you'll fall in love with immediately, some you'll want to shout at, but you can't really hate any of them. The reason why I didn't rate this 5/5 is the open ending that left me a little bit disappointed; I was expecting some more closure because I always need to see whether a character will be truly happy or not.

But all in all, Fracture is an amazing read which you need to put onto your 2012-to-read-lists. It is so suspenseful that I wanted to read faster than possible, but at the same time I wanted to savour the beautiful writing. Since I read an eGalley of this, I'm sure I'll get a finished copy of it to add it to my collection of books I love.


Have you read Fracture? What did you think about it?
Do you plan to read it?
Carina

9 comments:

  1. wow. Great review! i love books that have a mix of creepiness and hope and etc, and im really glad the book shows everyone's reactions to the accident! Im gonna read Fracture after i finish Shatter Me, so im glad you enjoyed it!

    Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds really interesting. It sounds like a good mix of contemporary/creepy/emotional and I really like those kind of books so I hope I'll enjoy this one as well. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. EEEEK I'm so excited to start this one soon it sounds amazing. I've heard about the ending thoguh so I'll know to expect it.

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book definitely was creepy! I totally agree, the ending left me a little unsatisfied as well. I can't wait to get a finished copy of this as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really glad you ended up enjoying it! Lately I've seen kind of bad reviews for it and have been worried. I'm picking it up next and can't wait to start it, since it sounds so awesome. I really hope I'll enjoy it too! Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. aaaaaaaaaah! lucky you that already read this book!! Im drooling over it! I cant wait for it! I love the trailer! It gave me chicken skin! aaah!! Excellent review!! you really make me want to get a copy now!! sniff! need to keep waiting though XDDD

    wish you a super Merry Christmas!
    Dazzling Reads

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh I'm looking forward to reading this. It sounds soo good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read the first 2 chapters and I'm sold! I absolutely love If I Stay and Before I Fall. I'd surely add this to my wishlist.

    Sarah @ Smitten over Books

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!