Thursday, December 1, 2011

Cover Comparisons #30: Dearly, Departed by Lia Habel


Living in Germany gives me the perfect opportunity to compare original covers with the ones German publishers choose. Sometimes they're gorgeous, sometimes they make me cringe, but it's always interesting to see different covers for the same novel.

Cover Comparisons is a weekly feature here at Fictional Distraction.



Dearly, Departed by Lia Habel
(US / UK / GER)


It's very easy for me to say that I don't like the UK cover at all. Even though I haven't read Dearly, Departed yet (although I still have an eGalley), I can see that it might fit the storyline, but I just wouldn't pick it up in a book store.
I love how the German cover incroporates a few Steampunk details, but despite that it doesn't tell me too much about the story or makes me want to find out what it's about. It's pretty but not eye-catching.
Therefore my definite favorite is the US cover which is also the reason why I hope to love Dearly, Departed (in case I ever manage to read my eGalley), just to be able to buy a finished (soooo pretty!) copy for my bookshelf without feeling like I've wasted money.

Which version do you like best?
US UK GER   
pollcode.com free polls 



Carina

8 comments:

  1. Even though you might not be able to tell it's about zombies and such from the US cover, I think I definitely like that one the best. The UK cover looks a little too cheesy and reminds me too much of "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies", ahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The US cover is beautiful, it surely caught my eyes and interest. The UK cover is creepy. The guy in there, well his face looks like don't really fit in his head... or his head doesn't fit to his neck? I don't know but there's something off about him. On the other hand the German cover looks fine. Nothing as catching as the US cover, but it's nice and pretty and simple. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The US cover is by far my favorite!!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the US one, although the German one is kind of pretty as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a very rare one for me! I always prefer UK/European/Australian covers but this once I prefer the US cover, though owning the UK one, it has grown on me a little.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the US version as well! I must get a finished copy soon. :) I hope you enjoy it when you read it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the US one but then it also makes it look historical and I am less attracted to historical books so then maybe the UK one!
    I hate the Ger one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The UK one grew on me after I read the book. I can't help but to be a fan of the U.S one ! The German one is just okay.

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!