Saturday, November 26, 2011

Short Story Review: Scenic Route by Carrie Ryan

Scenic Route by Carrie Ryan
in Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions
Publisher: HarperCollins
First published: September 20th, 2011
Source: Bought
Pages: 29 - 56
Short Summary:
This short story is set in the world of Carrie's The Forest of Hands and Teeth novels. The sisters Margie and Sally are hiding in a cabin and spend their time making plans for their next trip, the next time they need to hide again. While being there, they meet Calvin who has an intention that is hard to define.


My Rating: 4.0 / 5

What I thought about it:
I haven't read anything written by Carrie Ryan before, but I'm so happy I got to read this short story now. So far I've heard good things about The Forest of Hands and Teeth and I love the glimpse into this world I got in this short story.

Scenic Route shows me a world which is both, scary and fascinating at the same time. Margie and Sally's struggle for survival is heartbreaking, but at the same time I really enjoyed witnessing their interactions. Even though this is a short story, it's evident how much they care about each other.

Calvin is a lovely addition to Scenic Route as well. I would have loved to find out more about him, but considering the length of this story it probably wasn't possible. I'll definitely take a closer look at Carrie's novels now - Scenic Route makes me want to spend more time in this world.



Have you read any of Carrie Ryan's novels? What did you think about them?
Carina

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read any Carrie Ryan, but I want to read this anthology. I want to read Forest of Hands and Teeth, I always enjoy a creepy read.

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!