Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Review: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
Publisher: HarperCollins
First published: November 15th, 2011
Source: Bought
Pages: 338
Goodreads Summary:
Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war-- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

My Rating: 4.5 / 5

First thoughts:
Thanks to uncountable positive reviews for this novel, I had high expectations when starting it that could have been disappointed easily. But Tahereh Mafi delivered a wonderful dystopian story with a paranormal twist that will leave you wanting more. I thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait for the next installment of the series.

More detailed:
Shatter Me is set in a very intriguing dytsopian world. Juliette can still remember a life that has been similar to our own. But their world changed fast, no longer able to provide enough food and other necessities. In return, The Reestablishment, a movement with questionable motives, took over, saying that they're the only ones who are able to help everyone survive.

Juliette, whose touch can cause a pain for other people which can also lead to their death, had been locked away by The Reestablishment to prevent her from inflicting pain on anyone. But with a new cellmate her life starts to change rapidly and she finds herself in a situation she had never expected.

The people she meets are very intriguing. Of course I've developed a crush on Adam quite fast - he's an amazing character, almost a little bit too perfect. And while I usually have a thing for the bad guy, I have admit that I'm not so sure how I feel about Warner. He takes being the bad guy to a whole new level and I don't think I'm too comfortable with that; even though he's hot.

My favorite thing about this novel definitely is the writing. Thanks to other reviews I already expected it to be beautiful, but it was completely mind-blowing instead. Just Tahereh's very unique style of writing would be reason enough to put her onto my list of favorite authors.

So why didn't I rate this 5/5? I can't tell you why exactly, just that all of these reviews made me expect something more. While reading it, it felt as though there is some little detail missing which would make me want to put it onto a list with my other 5-star books like Anna and the French Kiss, Hourglass or The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer.

All in all, Shatter Me lives up to the hype and presents us an intriguing world with characters I want to find out more about. If you haven't got a copy of this novel yet, you should definitely do so; it's a 2011-must-read. I'm sure that, like me, you will not regret it but fall in love with a new series.



Have you read Shatter Me? What did you think about it?
Do you plan to read it?
Carina

6 comments:

  1. I got my copy today and I can't wait to read it. I read first 20 chapters on Facebook during the Shatter day and I loved it. I hope I can start reading it on this weekend, now I just look at the book in my bookshelf and feel more and more excited. I just hope that it will live up to my expectations :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutly devoured it. It was soo good. I was scared it wouldn't live up to the hype, but it did! You're right, if someone hasn't read it, they should definitely do so, and as soon as they can!
    Em
    A Beautiful Madness

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think everyone has a crush on Adam teehee. I'm glad you enjoyed this Carina I'm so psyched for book 2!!!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand the thing with the high expectations, it happened to me a lot. However, I'm glad to see you did enjoy it.
    I want my copy to arrive! *.*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! So glad you enjoyed this! I'm still not over this book xD

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this one too! I wasn't crazy about the ending either though (that's why I gave it 4 stars instead of 5...it just seamed a bit random and too superhero-esque for me to think it was awesome).

    I think I like Warner...he was so messed up and he did such awful things, but I think he just has some severe psychological issues to work out. And, while I would never support this, I think he and Juliet have the potential to make a good couple because they have so much in common.

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!