Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Review: Melody's Song by Kendal Ashby

Melody's Song by Kendal Ashby
Publisher: Whiskey Creek Press
Source: Received for review
Pages: 212
Summary:
All her life, Melody Cupid has accepted the fact she’ll be forced into the family business as a Love Muse. Then she’s given her first assignment. Instead of making her Charge’s heart flutter for someone, she finds she’s being sent to help Nathan Peterson discover his true career path as a writer.

Even though she believes the Senate is making a mistake by sending her, she gives it her all and soon finds herself in danger of breaking the golden rule of being a Muse by falling in love with her Charge. With only two weeks to complete her assignment, Melody must choose between giving up the life she’s just beginning to build in the mortal world with Nathan or sacrificing her heart to live up to the family name.

My Rating: 3.0 / 5

First thoughts:
This is a very light-hearted novel with a very important message. It is easy and fast to read and did not fail to make me smile. And even though I sometimes had problems with connecting to the characters, it is great if you're looking for a cute story to distract you.

More detailed:
Melody's Song has an interesting summary that intrigued me immediately. The idea of a Muse helping someone to find their destiny sounds very beautiful and made me want to read this as soon as possible. And this basic idea conveys the importance of pursuing your dreams and making your own decisions perfectly - a message that I absolutely love seeing in YA novels.

Melody is a character that is both, likeable but a little bit hard to relate to. At some points it just feels like as though we are not told enough about her heritage and the world she grew up in to completely understand her problems and fears. Therefore I would have enjoyed if we had learned more about life as a Muse.

I have a similar problem with the rest of the characters. They're all very nice and likeable, but I'm missing some depth - some mistake. They're almost perfect and while this spared me the pain of feeling embarrassed for them, I always love to see fictional characters with realistic traits.

But despite that, Melody's Song is a story that I really enjoyed to read and I can recommend this to everyone who wants to read a light-hearted and cute novel. It is based on a unique idea and conveys an important message. All in all, it is a lovely Young Adult novel that I'm sure many people will enjoy.



Have you read Melody's Song? What did you think about it?
Do you plan to read it?
Carina

1 comment:

  1. Sweet, like sugary sweet, with a cute cover and a great message.

    - Asher (from Paranormal Indulgence)

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!