Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Review: Crave by Melissa Darnell

Crave by Melissa Darnell
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
First published: October 25th, 2011
Source: NetGalley
Pages: 416
Goodreads Summary:
Savannah Colbert has never known why she's so hated by the kids of the Clann. Nor can she deny her instinct to get close to Clann golden boy Tristan Coleman. Especially when she recovers from a strange illness and the attraction becomes nearly irresistible. It's as if he's a magnet, pulling her gaze, her thoughts, even her dreams. Her family has warned her to have nothing to do with him, or any members of the Clann. But when Tristan is suddenly everywhere she goes, Savannah fears she's destined to fail.

For years, Tristan has been forbidden to even speak to Savannah Colbert. Then Savannah disappears from school for a week and comes back…different, and suddenly he can't stay away. Boys seem intoxicated just from looking at her. His own family becomes stricter than ever. And Tristan has to fight his own urge to protect her, to be near her no matter the consequences…

My Rating: 2.5 / 5

First thoughts:
While this novel has a huge potential to be absolutely breathtaking, I couldn't help but be a little bit disappointed. Even though its writing flows effortlessly and makes reading this a fast and comfortable experience, I had difficulties connecting to the characters and would have wished for it to concentrate more on the paranormal elements of the story.

More detailed:
The gorgeous cover and the summary of Crave made me expect a mysterious paranormal novel. But after a certain point, this book felt more like a contemporary novel focussing on the problems of growing up - with a few paranormal elements thrown in. This basically is no problem since I usually enjoy reading coming-of-age stories, but since I expected (and wanted) something different, I was a little bit disappointed by Crave.

Savannah is a young girl faced with the difficulty of finding out that her family has kept a secret from her for a long time and now she has to deal with the consequences. While I can understand her problems with her situation, she isn't a character that was easy to relate to. I think the reason for this is her slightly immature behaviour and narration, making this book a better read for a younger audience.

I also had a slight problem with the pacing of this novel. At some points it was a little bit rushed, skipping a few weeks which I only realized after reading a few paragraphs; this is something that was a little bit confusing. At other points it felt like certain problems and situations were dealt with for far too long, making me want to skip ahead and start reading a later chapter.

But despite that I still like the basic idea of Crave. The idea of The Clann, its mortal enemies and Savannah being caught in between is really intriguing and sets the stage for a possibly wonderful series. Tristan and Savannah will have to face lots of difficult decisions, the first one already visible at the end of the first novel. I'm definitely curious to see how their story will develop.

All in all, the The Clann series has the potential to be really great. Sadly I'm not too fond of Crave, mostly because its characters seem to be a little bit too immature for my taste. If this will continue in the next novel, I can definitely say that this is a series written for a younger audience or for readers who prefer younger and more naive characters.

Following novels in the series:

2. Covet (2012)
3. Consume (2013)

Have you read Crave? What did you think about it?
Do you plan to read it?
Carina

7 comments:

  1. I gave this one 3 stars due to Tristan :D

    Great points though!

    Krazyyme @ Young Readers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh it's a shame you didn't like it so much. I've heard mixed things about it but I still wanna try it. ~ Donna :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ave this on my Nook to read, but I'm not really interested in starting it, unfortunately. I really dislike it when the main characters are immature. :/ Sorry you didn't enjoy this one much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gah! Everyone seems to have the same opinion on this one. I doubt I'll read it I don't see anything that interests me after all these reviews.

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this from netgalley but I keep putting it off for other books I think it might also have something to do with the hit and miss reviews

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to pick this one up soon, but I admit I'm a bit scared! You're not the only one who haven't liked it too much. ._. But I'm still curious and hoping I'll manage to find it decent! Immature characters and rushed parts are something I definitely dislike... Great review though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review, Carina. Every review I've read, including my own of Crave, has said the same thing - the middle is really drawn out. I know she did this to give Tristan and Savannah more time to develop, but most of it seemed like overkill. I look forward to reading your reviews of Covet and Consume.

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!