Friday, November 25, 2011

Review: Cicada by Belle Whittington

Cicada by Belle Whittington
Publisher: Self-Published
First published: July 14th, 2011
Source: Received from author
Pages: 235
Goodreads Summary:
Summertime had always been carefree and fun for Blair Reynolds and her friends--until they came upon something that was not human. As the group of friends band together in a fight for their lives, Blair's true love becomes something more than human...something unnatural. And their existence relies on their ability to keep a secret.


My Rating: 3.0 / 5

First thoughts:
Please let me point out how much I love this cover and how the novel reflects the mystery that we're already presented in this picture. For me it's a unique story, unlike anything I've read before and I definitely need to find out more about the story Belle Whittington has created. If you're looking for something else than your usual paranormal novels, pick up Cicada.

More detailed:
When I first started Cicada, I didn't expect it to be a story about aliens. I was surprised and completely unsure whether I would like this - after all, I haven't read any alien stories before and didn't know what to expect. But Belle Whittington's beautiful style of writing made me want to continue reading and I've definitely not regretted continuing this.

One evening in summer, Blair and her friends discover something that is both intriguing and scary at the same time. This discovery is followed by many questions, some of which have not been answered yet and make me want to have the second book already. Their world is turned upside down and I can only imagine what I would feel like if I were in their situation.

I have to admit that the first half of the book was a little bit slow, but I think this might be a subjective feeling since I was missing a few more romantic elements. Not everyone needs too much romance in their story, so it might be completely different for you. But I also have to say that the pace picked up during the second half and made it almost impossible to put down Cicada.

The characters we encounter are all very likeable and each of them has their own character traits. It's lovely to watch them interact with each other and to find out what they're thinking and dreaming about. All of them developed during the novel and I'm looking forward to see what Belle Whittington has planned for them in the future.

All in all, I'm very happy to have read Cicada. It has not only broadened my horizon since it's the first alien book I've ever read, but I'm also sure that I won't forget this story easily and will keep it with me until I can finally find out how it continues. It's a fast read and if you're looking for something different to read, you should definitely give this a chance.



Have you read Cicada? What did you think about it?
Do you plan to read it?
Carina

7 comments:

  1. It looks like you liked it alot, since its a story youd never forget. But why rate it 3 out of 5?

    Farah

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Farah:
    I've rated this 3/5, because the first half of the book was a little bit too slow for my taste and didn't have enough romance. But it picked up towards the end, even though I still had hoped for more romance.
    Thanks for your comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't expect aliens either! I'm glad you enjoyed it too regardless of the slow start. I did as well and really curious about the rest of the series.

    Other alien book I recommend: Obsidian!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to read about Aliens! thanks for the review, I'm definitely adding this book to my TBR-pile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh look at that cover, i have this on my tbr list, dying to get this one soon. GREat review.!x

    ♥Ficbookreviews♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for stopping by to enter the giveaway and leave such kind remarks. :-)

    I hope you all will stop by at any or all of my social networking places and say "hi" sometime!

    ~Belle

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should read the host, awesome book by stephenie meyer

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!