Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Review: Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally

Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Expected Publication: December 1st, 2011
Source: NetGalley
Pages: 288
Goodreads Summary:
What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though-she leads them as the captain and quarterback of her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys, and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university. But now there's a new guy in town who threatens her starting position... suddenly she's hoping he'll see her as more than just a teammate.

My Rating: 4.5 / 5

First thoughts:
The first thing that came to my mind when finishing this? I need a finished copy of Catching Jordan! This is a book that made me laugh and cry. A book that made me want to hug its characters and shout at them. It was impossible to put down and if you just think that you might like this, pick it up immediately. I love it!

More detailed:
Catching Jordan is one of those books that makes you laugh at the most unfortunate times, e.g. when you're around people that have a hard time understanding why a book can make you so happy. But when reading this I didn't care - all I cared about was finding out how Jordan's story will continue and whether she will be able to pursue her dreams.

Living in Germany, I don't know much about football. Therefore it was a little bit hard for me to follow Jordan's retellings of certain parts of important games. But luckily these parts don't appear too often and aren't too long, so following the story doesn't get too complicated for someone who doesn't know much about football. At the same time it was really great to get a basic idea of what this type of sport is like.

Just as the summary says, Jordan is one of the guys. She has their respect as quarterback and captain of their team and they care as much about her as she does about them. It is amazing to witness their encounters and to see how their friendships develop. I also really enjoyed seeing how her relationship to her father changed and how she continually fought for her dreams.

At some points it seems like the sexual aspect of a relationship is no big deal. Since I'm 20 years old I didn't mind these parts too much, but for a younger audience this might be suggesting a wrong attitude. Besides that I really loved the love story of this novel. I didn't care too much about Ty even though he sounds like a promising character in the beginning. But I completely fell in love with Jordan's other love interest and was always crossing my fingers for them to work out their problems.

All in all, Catching Jordan is an amazing novel about a young girl fighting for her dreams to come true. Jordan is a fantastic character and her voice is easy to listen to. I fell in love with this book immediately and will definitely get a finished copy of it soon. Add this to your to-read lists and try to read this soon; I'm sure you will not regret it.



Have you read Catching Jordan? What did you think about it?
Do you plan to read it?
Carina

8 comments:

  1. I really want to read this book it sounds like a great read, but I have to wait for it's release as I didn't get accepted from netgalley :(

    So glad you enjoyed it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my next reads, well my 5th read. lol. Glad you enjoyed it! Great review. Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, the book sounds really good. I just got my copy yesterday, I wish I had time to read it right now (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad to see what you enjoyed this! It's another I have waiting on my to start it, and I'm really looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh nice! This is my next read I'll be starting it tonight or tomorrow. I only saw positive reviews on it so I'm really looking forward to it! I don't know ANYthing about football so I'm glad it won't be an issue :)

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely want to read this book! I'm not a huge football fan, but the story line sounds so great. I'm glad that you said it has a good narrative voice--that's one of the most important things in a book for me. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great great revieww!! i have been wanting to read this book FOREVERR!! The cover is ADORABLE and the story is soo cute. aww i love books that make me laugh, cry, and want to cuddle it!!
    Great review!
    Farah @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read Catching Jordan, but I see it EVERYWHERE. I love how they describe one of your picks as having "sparkling narrative"

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!