Thursday, November 24, 2011

Cover Comparisons #29: White Cat by Holly Black


Living in Germany gives me the perfect opportunity to compare original covers with the ones German publishers choose. Sometimes they're gorgeous, sometimes they make me cringe, but it's always interesting to see different covers for the same novel.

Cover Comparisons is a weekly feature here at Fictional Distraction.



White Cat by Holly Black
(US / UK / GER)

I don't think I would have ever put White Cat onto my to-read list, if I hadn't read any reviews about it. I don't really like the US cover, even though I love how they positioned the title and the author's name. The UK cover is okay, but I have to admit that the German cover is my favorite. It's mysterious and pretty and upholds the color scheme of the original cover at the same time. By the way, the German title can be translated into White Curse, which I really like.

Which version do you like best?
US UK GER   
pollcode.com free polls 



Carina

10 comments:

  1. It's the first time I see any cover of this book besides the US cover. The other two look great, but I still like the US the most. (:
    Anyway, I have an audiobook of White Cat and I have to admit it's one my favorites of the year! Amazing book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know anything about this book (except that it is one of the prizes in the giveaway my daughter is hosting over at Born Bookish) but I think I like the UK cover best. Maybe because it's so different. So many books have a black background these days. The light cover seems refreshing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the German cover best. I wonder why they use different covers in different countries. I remember when I first moved to the U.S. I found many books by a favorite author that I thought were new but I had read them all - each of them had a different cover and title.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was never a fan of the original US cover at all. That's what made me not buy it before I heard the reviews on it. With the cat and stuff it made it seem cheesy and strange hhaha. I really like the GER cover!!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually find the German cover don't match the story or are childish, but cbt did a great job. My second favourite is the UK version.

    Safari Poet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carina
    I have actually seen one book review on a blog before but can't recall the book blog. But, I feel since there was that instance it isn't much reviewed. I actually followed the blog because I loved the review for the White Cat review. It's been o my to-read/wishlist since then:)

    I love the U.S. cover though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the US one the best but the others are really nice to. All of them looks so mysterious yet unique. I tend to prefer covers with people on them.

    Jaskirat~SeeitORreadit

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the US one the best but the others are really nice to. All of them looks so mysterious yet unique. I tend to prefer covers with people on them.'' same here while the uk is pretty sweet 2

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wooooow. The German cover is sooooo gorgeous! o: That's so cool. I totally want it. I could use some practice on my German skills anyway. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The German cover is super nice!

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!