Thursday, November 10, 2011

Cover Comparisons #27: Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier


Living in Germany gives me the perfect opportunity to compare original covers with the ones German publishers choose. Sometimes they're gorgeous, sometimes they make me cringe, but it's always interesting to see different covers for the same novel.

Cover Comparisons is a weekly feature here at Fictional Distraction.



Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier
(GER / US)


Today's Cover Comparisons is somehow a special edition. This time I'm not showing you an original US cover in comparison with the cover of the German translation. Today you get to see the cover of a book which is from Germany and was translated into English. I still have to read this novel (and I will read the German version for a change), but I have to admit that none of these covers really appealed to me at first. I always thought the German cover was weird and the US cover was boring, but with time I'm getting used to them and it's starting to get difficult to pick a favorite. What do you think?

Which version do you like best?
GER US   
pollcode.com free polls 




Carina

7 comments:

  1. I like all the glitz and elegance of the US cover!

    I recently preordered HEAVEN (Heaven - Stadt der Feen) by Christoph Marzi from BookDepo. It's releasing in the UK in 2012. The cover is TO DIE FOR and the summary is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carina

    Ruby Red haven't read either. Looks good and seen everywhere these days. Voted U.S.

    I'm doing Cover Comparisons along with you.
    See mine here:Cover Comparisons #1 : The Taker by Alma Katsu

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always seem to prefer the German covers! I'd love to just slip the German cover art over my UK copies sometimes, haha. Always thought the Ruby Red cover was a bit 'blah', so I love this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you about not any of the covers are too appealing, but if I'd have to choose, I'd say the US one. I do like the German one as well, but the Us have prettier coloring. :x Lol! Aw, okay. I honestly don't know! The German one is just... intriguing with those beasts! Ugh. Call it a tie? Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read this either, but did see it at the library recently! I look forward to seeing what you think of it if you decide to read it. Both covers are pretty interesting, in their own ways!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the US cover but I do like the cartoon/fun-like cover of the German cover, but if I was to only buy one I'd go US ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like both covers a lot, but I think the German one fits the novel better, since it has some of the humour/fun that makes the novel such a great read.
    It does look a lot better close up though (the paper is rather coarse and the ink is raised and very shiny), but the same is probably true for the US cover.

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!