Sunday, November 13, 2011

Author Interview: Sherry Gammon (Unlovable)

Today I'm welcoming Sherry Gammon, author of the heart-breaking albeit beautiful Young Adult novel Unlovable. To see why I love her book so much, read my review HERE.
Thank you very much for taking your time to answer my questions, Sherry.
Goodreads Summary of Unlovable:
Port Fare, New York, has fallen into the clutches of true evil. The Dreser brothers have arrived with a scheme to increase drug sales in the area by whatever means possible. Seth Prescott is part of MET (Mobile Enforcement Teams) a branch of the DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration). He's been assigned to work undercover at Port Fare High, and things aren't going very well, until senior Maggie Brown enters the equation. He's harbored a secret crush on her from day one, and now that she is in the center of the case, he's trying to stay clear and objective while walking the line between business and unrequited love.

Maggie is truly the poster child for Heroin Chic, complete with jutting bones and dark-ringed eyes, but is she an addict, or is there another reason for her appearance? She struggles with her feelings for Seth, fearing he is just another person who will eventually let her down, as everyone in her life has done thus far.
Maggie has spent her life caring for her alcoholic mother. A task that has left her heavily burdened and alone. Before long, her mother's health takes a turn for the worst, sending Maggie's life into a tale-spin.

While Seth works relentlessly to inject fear into the dealers and flush them out into the open, Maggie fights to stay alive as the hunt turns deadly.

Why don’t you start by telling us a little bit about yourself and your life as an author?

I'm a cheesy romantic… which, if you have read my novel, comes as NO surprise to anyone. ;} I LOVE a happy ending. So much so that whenever I want to read a Nicholas Sparks novel, I have my daughter check the last chapter to make sure the couple in it lives 'happily ever after.' If they don't, I will NOT read it.

I'm a 'Jack of all Trades, Master of None.' I can do a lot of different things, but I'm not phenomenal at any one thing. I am hoping, before I die, to find that one thing I can do really well, but as of now, it seems to elude me. There are people, who, out of the clear blue sky, decide to do something and, WHAM! they are great at it… you know what I mean? That's so not me! Example: JK Rowling. Wow. What I wouldn't give to be able to write, and create, like her.


What inspired you to write Maggie and Seth’s heart-breakingly beautiful story?

Thank you! Maggie is actually based on a couple of girls I knew growing up. And Seth, well, he’s just the perfect guy. ;}


One thing I love most about Unlovable are the amazing characters. How much of yourself did you put into them or are any of them inspired by people you know?

I gave each of my main characters a personality trait of mine. It helped me to relate to them better and I KNEW what and why they did what they did!


So far there are two sequels / companion novels for Unlovable planned. Can you tell us a few details about them? What can we expect? Will we see Maggie and Seth again?

Yes, Maggie and Seth are in both novels. Unbelievable is the story of Lilah Dreser, the sister of the drug dealers, as she comes into town to finish what her brothers started. And it is about Cole and his journey to find his true love. Unbearable is Booker's story. He’s left the world of undercover police to pursue a career as a lawyer. True to his Save the World ideas, he’s hired a nervous, timid woman named Tess to work for him as a secretary. As Tess and Booker grow closer, Booker learns of her secret and is determined to help her break free.


What do you like most about writing a novel? What is the hardest part for you? 

Creating a story out of nothing! That is my favorite part.
EDITING!!!!!!! HATE IT!


What do you think is the most important advice to give to someone who wants to write their first novel? Have you ever received an advice similar to that which enabled you to pursue your career as an author?

Write, write, write and edit, edit, edit, edit, edit, edit….. 
Yes. The exact same advice really. I thought a couple times through and I’d be done editing…so not true. I spend hours, weeks, even months editing.


Do you have any favorite authors and/or books you would love to recommend to everyone? If yes, why do you like them so much?

Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo! What a great story and writer. He draws you and holds you there, never letting you go!

3 comments:

  1. I don't think I could be an author because that editing would drive me crazy!!!

    Love the spooky cover - it give off scary, sad and evil. Think it will be going on my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah I LOVE Unlovable, such an amazing read! Also love Sherry she is so sweet!!! (:


    Haley @ Ya-Aholic.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely loved this book! I laughed & cried & felt many emotions. I just loved the characters and felt I was right there with them. It was believable in many ways and makes me wonder how many people have gone through something like this. my heart was aching for Maggie throughout the book but she is a strong cookie!

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!