Friday, October 14, 2011

Review: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
First published: September 27th, 2011
Source: Bought
Pages: 452
Goodreads Summary:
Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there. - It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed. - There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love. - She's wrong.

My Rating: 5.0 / 5

First thoughts:
I remember reading a lot of positive reviews about this novel and at a certain point it seemed like everyone loved it. It's almost impossible to find a negative review of this and therefore I was, of course, skeptical whether it could live up to this hype. But it did. And it was even better than everyone said. This is a unique and wonderfully written story and I couldn't get enough of it.

More detailed:
There are a few books everyone seems to love and all the hype makes it almost impossible to resist the urge to buy it. But so much hype can leave you disappointed - but this didn't happen with The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. It is a unique story that is impossible to put down and that made me love it more with every page I turned.

It's hard to find reasons to tell you why exactly I loved this novel so much. Michelle Hodkin simply managed to combine every important aspect a good Young Adult novel needs to have: a unique storyline, likeable and somehow mysterious main characters, a very interesting (read: hot) male love interest, a beautiful style of writing and a cliffhanger that sent shivers down my spine.

Mara Dyer is a protagonist like no other. She's experiencing awful and scary things and is constantly confused about what happens to her. And I shared her confusion. I love it when a book is written in a way that keeps the reader guessing as well and doesn't give them too many clues to figure out the mystery before the main character does. And even though her secret problem seems somehow revealed, there are still many questions left that I'd like to be answered.

Before I read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer I had already heard of Noah Shaw, of course. If you haven't read at least one review of someone raving about his awesomeness, I'm sure you've been living under a rock. And again, Michelle Hodkin made it possible that another hype didn't leave me disappointed. While he is emboying the perfect bad boy cliché on the hand, he is an amazing guy and truly cares for Mara on the other hand. Despite her life being crazy, she has a lot of luck having met him.

All in all, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is a fantastic story that will leave you wanting more. The cliffhanger at the end is both, amazing and torturous and I can't wait for the second novel to be released. And even without the cliffhanger I would have wanted to read more about Mara Dyer, because Michelle Hodkin created a scary and creepy but wonderful world that I love to be sucked into. Don't be scared by the hype and give this book a chance. You won't regret it!



Have you read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer? What did you think about it?
Carina

7 comments:

  1. Great review! I've heard nothing but amazing things about this one. I'll definitely have to pick up a copy soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished it and I have to agree at everything you said! Noah Shaw was amazing *wistfully sighs* But I did not know - nor expect it to be a cliffhanger... I was shocked. And tortured. I'm hoping to write and post my review tomorrow for it, thanks for your thoughts, they helped me a bit to sort out my own feelings a bit :) Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't yet, no! But I'm picking it up ASAP! Just got my copy last week and I can't wait to start it, lol. I've also been a bit scared about the hype, because I'm often disappointed of these books, but I definitely hope Mara is an exception for me as well. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this book SO MUCH! Noah is definitely the icing on the cake in this book. I can't wait to read MORE! :) Glad you enjoyed this as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I'm so going to read Mara Dyer! Awesome review. It sounds creepy and really engaging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVED this one! Glad you did too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Michelle Hodkin....you have really out done yourself. This has to be one of the best books I have read all year so far!! You are an amazing author! The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is everything that I would want in a book and more. I think this should be on every person's must read list!

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!