Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Review: Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins
Publisher: Dutton
First published: September 29th, 2011
Source: Bought
Pages: 338

Companion Novel:
Anna and the French Kiss - my review
Goodreads Summary:
Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn’t believe in fashion . . . she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit -- more sparkly, more fun, more wild -- the better. But even though Lola’s style is outrageous, she’s a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood.

When Cricket -- a gifted inventor -- steps out from his twin sister’s shadow and back into Lola’s life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.

My Rating: 5.0 / 5

First thoughts:
Wow. This book is perfect. I didn't think it was possible for this to be better than Anna and the French Kiss, but it is. It's funny, cute and made me really happy while reading it. I squealed, laughed, sighed and I want to read it over and over again. Read it now, if you haven't already. 

More detailed:
When I read Anna and the French Kiss a while ago, I completely fell in love with Stephanie Perkins' writing. It's flowing effortlessly and makes it so easy to devour her books in one day. Her humour is fantastic and her characters are made to love. But I was so sure that there would never be a book that could be better than Anna and the French Kiss. Until I read Lola.

Lola and the Boy Next Door had all the elements I loved in the first book, and more. Both, main characters and secondary characters are amazing. Every character that we meet is complex even though we might just encounter them a few times. I especially loved Lola's parents who finally care about what happens in their daughter's life. And of course I loved seeing Anna and St. Clair again who were just as perfect as they were in Anna and the French Kiss.

I still haven't found other books that portray the concept of first love as realistic and lovely as Stephanie Perkins' novels do. She manages to create love stories that everyone can relate to, because they're actually happening like that in real life. The character's actions and reactions are understandable and as a reader I was feeling exactly what Lola was feeling.

Cricket is a great love interest. While I always enjoy reading about the typical dangerous and brooding male YA character, I just love the guys Stephanie Perkins creates. Cricket is funny, a little bit awkward and probably the nicest guy we've ever met. And he's the perfect match for Lola who is a wonderful and unique main character and who I'd love to meet in real life.

All in all, Lola and the Boy Next Door is a perfect novel. Just reading a few pages of this made me incredibly happy and I wanted to finish it as fast as possible while never wanting this to end. Its characters and humour will stay with me for a long time and I will definitely visit this world again every now and then. 

Next book in the series:


Have you read Lola and the Boy Next Door? What did you think about it?
Carina

6 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to read this book, but it will have to be my reward for making a huge bent in my TBR bookCASE! I am on a self-inflicted book buying ban, unless I can win it somewhere.... that doesn't count, does it?! ;o) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just starting this one today. I can't resist it!! I loved Anna (just read that one last week) so I must keep going with her books! Thanks for the great review :o)

    Mickey @ imabookshark

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book is sooooooo amazing. As much as I loved Anna, I definitely liked Lola more. :) I can't wait to re-read it soon! Great review, Carina!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you finished it! I'm so happy when I see good reviews on it. I'm glad it lives up to Anna - which was awesome!! So excited to start reading it.

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I have this one to read and I wouldn't think anything could be better than Anna and the French Kiss. I still smile, just thinking about that book. I need to reread it! I loved it. And you're so right about how Stephanie Perkins captures first love so well. I can't wait to get started on Lola!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, great review! I completely agree with your thoughts -- Stephanie Perkins really does write these stories effortlessly but you can tell how much love she has for her characters. I cannot wait to read Isla next year! <3

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!