Friday, October 7, 2011

Review: The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa

The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Expected Publication: October 25th, 2011
Source: NetGalley
Pages: 361

Previous books in the series:
The Iron King, The Iron Daughter, The Iron Queen
Winter's Passage (# 1.5)
Summer's Crossing (# 3.5)  
Goodreads Summary:
To cold, emotionless faery prince Ash, love was a weakness for mortals and fools. His own love had died a horrible death, killing any gentler feelings the Winter prince might have had. Or so he thought.

Then Meghan Chase—a half human, half fey slip of a girl— smashed through his barricades, binding him to her irrevocably with his oath to be her knight. And when all of Faery nearly fell to the Iron fey, she severed their bond to save his life. Meghan is now the Iron Queen, ruler of a realm where no Winter or Summer fey can survive.

With the (unwelcome) company of his archrival, Summer Court prankster Puck, and the infuriating cait sith Grimalkin, Ash begins a journey he is bound to see through to its end— a quest to find a way to honor his solemn vow to stand by Meghan’s side.

To survive in the Iron realm, Ash must have a soul and a mortal body. But the tests he must face to earn these things are impossible. At least, no one has ever passed to tell the tale.

And then Ash learns something that changes everything. A truth that turns reality upside down, challenges his darkest beliefs and shows him that, sometimes, it takes more than courage to make the ultimate sacrifice.

My Rating: 5.0 / 5

First thoughts:
What a brilliant ending for such a fantastic series. While the ending of The Iron Queen broke my heart a little bit, The Iron Knight put it together again and made this series even more wonderful than I ever expected. I am incredibly happy that Julie Kagawa had decided to write this fourth novel and at the same time I'm sad to see this series come to an end. 

More detailed:
The Iron Knight finally gave me the closure I needed to deal with the ending of The Iron Queen. I loved that this story is told from Ash's point of view, making it possible to really understand the prince of the Winter Court. The glimpses we get into his former life, his life before Meghan, are very interesting to witness. In the previous novels it was easy to forget how his past made him the person he is, but in The Iron Knight we get to see the real Ash.

His journey to fulfill his promise to Meghan is full of surprises, dangerous situations and heart-breaking moments. Before I read this, I had already heard that this novel is able to make you cry, but I only believed it when I had to suppress my own tears while reading. Ash's story is so wonderfully written and with every new chapter I was hoping more desperately that he and Meghan will get their happy ending.

I also loved the characters who accompanied Ash on his journey. We already know Puck and Grimalkin, but there are a few surprising appearances. I loved how his companions force Ash to acknowledge his past and deal with his problems. Of course, my favorite character is still Puck and I am a little bit sad to see that he hasn't find someone who loves him yet. But since Julie Kagawa is writing a spin-off series, I'm still hoping that he'll get his happy ending, too.

Julie Kagawa's writing in The Iron Knight is just as beautiful as it was in the previous novels. And while I almost thought it was impossible to create even more elements in this wonderful faerie world, I am surprised by how many more creatures and places we get to encounter and experience. The Nevernever is a beautiful and almost overwhelming place that I hope to see in the spin-off series again.

All in all, I am very happy with the way this series ended. The Iron Knight is a great novel and while I'm sad to see this series come to an end, there couldn't have been a better ending for it. Julie Kagawa has created a wonderful and very unique world with amazing characters and I'm looking forward to read everything else she will write in the future.



Have you read this series / The Iron Knight? What did you think about it?
Carina

4 comments:

  1. Loved Loved Loved this! And so glad you did too. Julie did an amazing job with Ash! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really gotta start this series it sounds really good.I have the first 3 books at home but never had the chance to start it yet. Great review!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited to read this one! I absolutely love The Iron Fey series so I'll definitely be getting this one when it comes out. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's entirely possible (although improbable) that you may have never heard of Julie Kagawa's immensely successful Iron Fey series. Kagawa originally planned the series to be a trilogy, (The Iron Daughter, The Iron King and The Iron Queen), however, she felt she might need to give the heroine and hero (Meghan and Ash) more closure.

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!