Friday, October 28, 2011

Review: Hereafter by Tara Hudson

Hereafter by Tara Hudson
Publisher: HarperCollins
First published: June 7th, 2011
Source: Bought
Pages: 404
Goodreads Summary:
Can there truly be love after death?

Drifting in the dark waters of a mysterious river, the only thing Amelia knows for sure is that she's dead. With no recollection of her past life—or her actual death—she's trapped alone in a nightmarish existence. All of this changes when she tries to rescue a boy, Joshua, from drowning in her river. As a ghost, she can do nothing but will him to live. Yet in an unforgettable moment of connection, she helps him survive.

Amelia and Joshua grow ever closer as they begin to uncover the strange circumstances of her death and the secrets of the dark river that held her captive for so long. But even while they struggle to keep their bond hidden from the living world, a frightening spirit named Eli is doing everything in his power to destroy their newfound happiness and drag Amelia back into the ghost world . . . forever.

My Rating: 4.5 / 5

First thoughts:
I have not read many ghost stories, but Hereafter made me want to read more. It's a lovely and heartfelt story about two people who have a unique connection and have to face many obstacles to be together. I loved every moment I spent in this world and I'm looking forward to see what will happen to Amelia and Joshua.

More detailed:
Hereafter is a wonderfully written story that captivated me and constantly made me hope that its characters will find their happy ending. Tara Hudson managed to create a beautiful world with her words and I couldn't get enough of her writing. Just this would be enough to love this novel, but the story itself was just as amazing.

Both, Amelia and Josh are amazing characters. After everything she experienced, Amelia still was a lovely voice to listen to and a relatable character. It was lovely to watch how her existence slowly develops into a life and how she starts to piece the puzzle of her past together and finds out who she is and what happened to her.

Joshua is a very great guy and I loved how his relationship with Amelia grew into something important - slowly. While their feelings for each other develop quite soon, they don't rush things and their connection seems believable. Of course I was thrilled to find out that their relationship is one of the forbidden sort and I'm excited to find out whether they will manage to stay together - which I'm desperately hoping for.

All the other characters we get to meet play important roles as well. Not all of them are likeable and I'm afraid that some will pose a huge problem for Amelia in the future, but Hereafter wouldn't be the same without them. In my opinion it's a great achievement when an author has managed to make the reader interested in finding out what the unlikeable characters have planned.

All in all, Hereafter does not only have a gorgeous cover but is a fantastic story based on a unique idea and I'm sure that many people will fall in love with it like I did. I'm glad that this is part of a trilogy because I'm not yet willing to leave this world and I'm looking forward to find out whether Amelia and Joshua will get their happy ending.

Following books in the series:

2. Arise (June 5th, 2012)
3. Elegy (2013)

Have you read Hereafter? What did you think about it?
Carina

11 comments:

  1. I really liked Hereafter. I especially liked the way it was written and the slow progression of the relationship between Amelia and Joshua. Glad to see you enjoyed it as well. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy to see that you enjoyed Hereafter, Carina. I couldn't get into it really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yay I've been looking forward to this one. The characters sounds very well developed and likeable. Great review!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed Hereafter and I loved the relationship between the characters. Glad you liked it too ~ Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes! I loved HEREAFTER and really want to read its sequel. Josh is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hereafter was an okay read for me but your review is lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you enjoyed this! I loved it too - ghost romances are always so beautiful and tragic. I really hope Amelia and Joshua can find a way to be together in the end <3 Can't wait to read the rest of the books in the series. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH, I love this book SO much! The characters and the story were all so greaet. I can't wait for the next books! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. great review my dear =)

    I agree with you that the characters' connection seems beliavable! Im looking forward for the sequel! =)

    Happy Reading!

    http://dazzlingreads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carina thanks for an excellent review. I'm now looking forward to reading this book :)

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!