Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Review: Forgotten by Cat Patrick

Forgotten by Cat Patrick
Publisher: Egmont Books
First published: June 7th, 2011
Source: Gifted
Pages: 280
Goodreads Summary:
Each night when 16 year-old London Lane goes to sleep, her whole world disappears. In the morning, all that's left is a note telling her about a day she can't remember. The whole scenario doesn't exactly make high school or dating that hot guy whose name she can't seem to recall any easier. But when London starts experiencing disturbing visions she can't make sense of, she realizes it's time to learn a little more about the past she keeps forgetting-before it destroys her future.

Part psychological drama, part romance, and part mystery, this thought-provoking novel will inspire readers to consider the what-if's in their own lives and recognize the power they have to control their destinies.

My Rating: 5.0 / 5

First thoughts:
It was almost impossible for me to put Forgotten down. Within a few chapters I was addicted to this novel and couldn't wait to find out how London's condition will develop. This story is incredibly well written and based on a unique idea. I can't wait to read more of Cat Patrick's books.

More detailed:
Forgotten is a unique novel that I want to recommend to everyone who is sick of constantly repeating Young Adult clichés and needs a story that will captivate them immediately. Whenever I had a few minutes to spare, I would pick up Forgotten and was sucked into London's world within a few seconds. And I'm sure her story will stay with me for a long time.

I will admit that the summary of Forgotten reminded me a lot of the movie 50 First Dates at first. But it didn't take long for me to realize that this story is much more special and profound. London does not only forget her past, but she "remembers" her future as well - a concept that is completely new to me. It was great to witness London deal with this and somewhat shocking to realize how normal this is for her.

Forgotten is told by a first person narrator from London's point of view and despite her forgetting her past, it wasn't repetitive. London is a great character who has to deal with lots of problems, starting with having to remember the guy she is in love with, even though she forgets him every night. Without knowing what it's like to forget my past and know my future, it was very easy to relate to her and I loved to hear the story from her point of view.

Her boyfriend Luke is a wonderful character as well. He's the kind of boyfriend every girl is dreaming about and while reading I developed a little crush on him. There is no doubt that he loves London and it's amazing how he treats her. Just like him, her best friend Jamie is a intriguing character although I would have loved to see more of her. But once you read this novel, you'll know why she is left out a little bit which at the same time emphasized London's "ability".

Cat Patrick's style of writing is absolutely gorgeous and makes it impossible to forget this book. It is easy to read and creates a wonderful, complex world at the same time. All in all, Forgotten is a wonderful and very unique novel that everyone should have read. It's definitely one of my favorite books that I've read in 2011.

Other books by Cat Patrick:
Revived (May 8th, 2012)

Have you read Forgotten? What did you think about it?
Do you plan to read it?
Carina

7 comments:

  1. Great review! I have only heard good things about Forgotten, I really need to get my hands on a copy. [: Glad you enjoyed it.

    Erin @ Let's Evaluate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had this one on my shelf for quite awhile but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I'll have to get to it soon. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you liked it so much! I really liked it as well and it's definitely a unique read. I'd only have wanted more of it. o: Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't agree with you more. I absolutely adored Forgotten!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh I really want to read this one. I was actually really intrigued by her previous novel (i forget the name now) but I couldn't find anywhere that sold it in Canada - even Amazing and TBD didn't have it. She sounds like a great author though I'm going to try to find this one.

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting. I wonder what it would be like if we couldn't remember the day before either. I'm going to have to check this out for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds REALLY interesting! It totally made me think of 50 first dates, too. But it definitely sounds much more complex than that.

    This looks really good thanks for sharing! It's now added to my TBR pile.

    -Nichole

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!