Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Review: Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon

Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon
Publisher: HarperCollins
First published:
Oct 4th, 2011 (US); Oct 27th, 2011 (UK)
Source: Received from UK publisher
Pages: 340
Goodreads Summary:
A move to Ireland is about to introduce Megan to her destiny, her real destiny, can she embrace it and will she survive it?

A tragedy in Megan’s past set her on a predetermined course. A chain of events has been set in motion that brings Megan to Kinsale, a small town in the south of Ireland where her destiny awaits her. Her life starts to fall into place as she makes new friends and settles into her new school. However, the reclusive and distant Adam DeRís calls to her body and soul.

She finds herself increasingly drawn to Adam and his strange family. Adam knows a secret from her past and he and his family hold the key to her future. A future that binds her to Adam and his world, a world of power, mystery and ancient orders. A world that unbeknownst to her, she very much belongs in.

My Rating: 4.0 / 5

First thoughts:
Combining a few aspects of various different types of YA novels, Carrier of the Mark is a delightful story that kept me interested and introduced me to a wonderful world of magic. While it's not one of the most unique stories, it's a great and very fast read and might appeal to many readers.

More detailed:
Carrier of the Mark is a very well written novel with intriguing characters and a world that I would love to find out more about. Its love story is beautiful and addicting, its characters are likeable and very easy to relate to.

Megan, our main character, tells us her story (first person narrator) of moving to Ireland and meeting the mysterious Adam DeRís and his family. Within the first pages it was possible to relate to her and her situation and it was easy to get to know her better. She has a lovely voice and I'm definitely looking forward to read more of her story.

The other characters who are introduced in this story are great as well. Adam reminds me a little bit of the typical YA hero, but he is a very likeable and swoon-worthy love interest at the same time. But I also liked his family (Rían, Áine and Fionn) and Megan's best friend Caitlin a lot which is a very positive aspect - I love it when authors are capable of making secondary characters very important for me.

Of course I also enjoyed the setting of Carrier of the Mark: Ireland. Two years ago I've been to Dublin with my English course and I'm remembering this trip very positively. And this made reading this novel - especially those parts which were set in Dublin - an amazing experience and made me want to go back to Ireland immediately.

The only thing that I didn't like as much was the fact that I was able to see a lot of parallels to Twilight, maybe Starcrossed as well. As I said above, the story line isn't the most unique and the way some things happened were a little bit clichéd. But Leigh Fallon managed to incorporate some magical elements that really intrigued me and made up for the similarity to other novels.

All in all, Carrier of the Mark is, despite using a few Young Adult clichés, a great novel that is easy to read and will captivate its readers and make them want to know what will happen next. I'm happy that I gave this novel a chance even though I had read a few mixed reviews and I would advise you to do the same.



Have you read Carrier of the Mark? What did you think about it?
Carina

7 comments:

  1. 'The Carrier of the Mark' has been one of those hyped novels for 2011. I'm a bit afraid that it will be a let down for me like Starcrossed. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Carina :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I can't wait to read this one too. It's fun that you've been to Dublin I find it makes the book more enjoyable when you've actually been there.

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed this despite the cliches. I might have to wait this one out. As always, insightful review, C. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad that you enjoyed reading it despite the cliches. :D and you already know my opinion of it :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought this but have not had a chance to read it. Seen both good and average reviews for it but am still looking forward to reading it myself.
    NC
    TRuly Bookish

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds good to me! I was a little worried about the cliches, but I think the right authors/stories can make them work. I thought Die For Me had familiar tropes, too, but I ended up loving it. I'm looking forward to this one now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review Carina! Carrier of the Mark is in my IMM this week :)

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!