Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Review: Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer
Publisher: Speak (Penguin Group)
Date of Publication: October 19th, 2010
Source: Bought
Pages: 454 (Paperback)
Goodreads Summary:
Calla is the alpha female of a shape-shifting wolf pack. She is destined to marry Ren Laroche, the pack's alpha male. Together, they would rule their pack together, guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But then, Calla saves a beautiful human boy, who captures her heart. Calla begins to question everything - her fate, her existence, and her world and the orders the Keepers have asked her to follow. She will have to make a choice. But will she follow her heart if it means losing everything, including her own life? 

My Rating: 4.5 / 5

First thoughts:
Why did I wait so long to start this series? To be honest, I didn't expect it to be this good and I was positively surprised by the detail and uniqueness of the werewolf aspects of this story. Sadly this book ended with a mean cliffhanger, which means that I'll need to get the second book as soon as possible!

More detailed:
Nightshade is one of those books that I always saw on other blogs but never remembered to order. But once I started reading this book, I regretted taking so much time to start this series. It was a very surprising story that captivated me and made me remember it even long after I finished it. 

Even though I read many incredibly positive reviews about this, I've always expected this to be a regular werewolf story. But soon I realized that this is a lot more complex than any other werewolf novel I have read before. It is filled with mysterious and surprising elements that make me want to get to know this world even more.

I loved being told the story from Calla's point of view. She's a very likeable character and I could easily identify with her problems. The way she struggles for freedom and independece in a world dominated by men was incredibly well written and with every new chapter I read, I hoped that she would finally get what she wants.

Of course I'm also a little bit jealous of Calla, since - like most YA heroines of course - she has two guys vying for her attention. Ren and Shay are both very interesting characters and I really enjoyed seeing them develop during the story. But I have to admit that I picked a favorite quite soon and that I'm definitely a part of Team Ren.

All in all, Nightshade is a fantastic and very refreshing story that you should definitely read if you haven't already. But I'm warning you: This ends with a huge cliffhanger, therefore you shouldn't make the same mistake as I did and not have the sequel nearby. I definitely need to get the next book of this series soon.




The second novel of this series
was released on July 26th, 2011 by Penguin.










The third novel of the series
will be released on January 24th, 2012 by Philomel.




Have you read Nightshade? What did you think about it?
Carina

11 comments:

  1. I loved Nightshde! Calla is such an amazingly awesome character. And I totally agree about having two boys wanting her attention. :) I can't wait to read Wolfsbane, if my library will ever get it in! :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Haha, that was my first thought as well. I absolutely loved it! And the second book was even better in my opinion. :) I hope you'll continue to like the series!

    Rebecca @ Kindle Fever

    ReplyDelete
  3. I expected this to be a regular werewolf story too but you've intrigued me! I'll have to check it out soon.

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved it too! And yay for Ren :) So many people like Shay...not me haha.

    I just finished Wolfsbane on Friday and I can't wait for Bloodrose.

    Looking forward to your Wolfsbane review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this series. Glad to see you enjoyed Nightshade. And yay for Team Ren :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad that you enjoyed Nightshade, Carina. It kind of fall short for me. I hoped that I would grow to love it but sadly I didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was not expecting to love Nightshade as much as I did! It was a great start to a series. I can't wait to read the second one.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. great review! i've been wanting to pick this series up. i'm glad to know that it's a great read. :)

    -michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved Nightshade. I loved Calla. So strong! I really hope she continues to stand up to the males in her pack, and other packs. So glad you enjoyed it. I can't wait to start book 2 as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just finished reading Nightshade last week. I love the unique world that Andrea Cremer had created for this series. I'm eagerly anticipating the 3rd book's release, is this only a trilogy?

    I'm also Team Ren, I just didn't get any connection between Shay and Calla,

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved Nightshade but happened upon an ARC of it. It was killer having to wait for the second book and I still haven't been able to get to it. I hear it ends on an even worse cliffhanger!

    I agree with you. Calla really was a likable character and I liked both boys vying for her attention (though I ended up liking Ren just a tiny bit more). Great review!

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!