Friday, September 2, 2011

Review: Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist
by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers
Date of Publication: January 1st, 2006
Source: Bought
Pages: 183

Goodreads Summary:
It all starts when Nick asks Norah to be his girlfriend for five minutes. He only needs five minutes to avoid his ex-girlfriend, who’s just walked in to his band’s show. With a new guy. And then, with one kiss, Nick and Norah are off on an adventure set against the backdrop of New York City—and smack in the middle of all the joy, anxiety, confusion, and excitement of a first date.

This he said/she said romance told by YA stars Rachel Cohn and David Levithan is a sexy, funny roller coaster of a story about one date over one very long night, with two teenagers, both recovering from broken hearts, who are just trying to figure out who they want to be—and where the next great band is playing.

Told in alternating chapters, teeming with music references, humor, angst, and endearing side characters, this is a love story you’ll wish were your very own. Working together for the first time, Rachel Cohn and David Levithan have combined forces to create a book that is sure to grab readers of all ages and never let them go. 




My Rating: 2.0 / 5

What I thought about it:
Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist is a novel that I picked up because I had read many reviews about it that claimed that this is an amazing book. Therefore I had very high expecations for this and maybe this is the reason why I was disappointed. And sadly it's even hard to say why I didn't like it.

First of all, it was fairly easy to read. The narration switches between Norah and Nick's point of view and helps the reader to understand the actions of both main characters. But whenever a new chapter starts, we get to experience a little bit of the past (end of the previous chapter) from a different perspective. While this is quite interesting in the beginning, it starts to get a little bit tiring when you just want to know what will happen next.

On top of that I couldn't really connect to either Nick or Norah. Both of them might be likeable characters with problems that maybe a lot of people can identify with, but no matter how much I read about them, I didn't feel for them. They were just two strangers who told me their story, without it ever truly touching me.

I'm not saying that this story isn't interesting. They meet under very different circumstances (no one has asked me to be his five-minute-girlfriend so far) and the way they go through this one night involves lots of - sometimes very hot - adventures. You can see them deal with their past relationships and grow to be a person to start something new. 

I also liked that almost none of the secondary characters were neither totally good nor totally bad, especially Nick's ex-girlfriend. They helped the main characters to get to know each other either by simply existing or by actually doing something to push them together.

But despite those positive aspects, I just can't forget that I couldn't really identify with Nick and / or Norah. To really like a novel, I need to be engrossed in the story and truly hope that the main characters will get their happy ending. But sadly I didn't really care whether Nick and Norah get their happy ending. I just finished reading it, because this story was fairly well written and it wasn't very long.

All in all, I'm a little bit sad that I didn't like Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist as much as I expected to. But also keep in mind that this is my personal opinion and that there are so many positive reviews out there about this one. It wasn't the right story for me, but if you're looking for a novel that puts together broken hearts with lots of music, this might be the right story for you.



Have you read Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist? What did you think about it?
Carina

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read the book but I have seen the movie(very cute and much fun!). I appreciate your honesty, Carina. After reading your review I've come to the conclusion that I'm better of with my experience from the movie adaptation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw your rating on GR and I was curious to read your review. I'm still planning on reading it and I hope I can connect to the characters. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!