Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Review: Fragile Eternity by Melissa Marr

Fragile Eternity by Melissa Marr
Publisher: HarperTeen
Date of Publication: January 1st, 2009
Source: Bought
Pages: 389

Previous books in the series: 
Wicked Lovely - my review
Ink Exchange - my review
Goodreads Summary:
Aislinn never expected to rule in Faerie--but that was before Keenan stole her mortality to make her a monarch. Now she faces challenges and enticements beyond any she'd ever dreamed of.

Seth never expected he would want to settle down with anyone--but that was before Aislinn. She is everything he's ever dreamed of, and he wants to be with her forever. Forever takes on a new meaning, though, when your girlfriend is an immortal faery queen.

My Rating: 3.0 / 5

First thoughts:
While I had a hard time with the first half of the book, I really enjoyed the things that happened in the second half. Especially Seth's development during this novel was lovely to watch and I'm looking forward to see how his decisions will affect the rest of this world. 

More detailed:
Fragile Eternity is the third novel in Melissa Marr's faerie series and gave us a more detailed experience of this fairytale-like world. Unlike the second book, it concentrates on Aislinn and Seth's relationship again and showed us how Keenan and the faerie courts affect them.

I have to admit that I struggled with the beginning of this novel. While I grew more attached to this series after reading Ink Exchange, this reminded me of the problems I had while reading Wicked Lovely: I couldn't really connect to the characters and never felt like I had to continue reading.

But after some time I started to get into the story again and really enjoyed the rest. We finally get to find out more about the fourth court, the High Court, and its queen Sorcha. She plays a very important part in Seth's plan to save his relationship with Aislinn and was a very interesting character to meet. I really hope that we'll get to see more of her in the last two novels.

I'm still on the fence when it comes to Keenan and Seth. While I really started to like Seth a lot, I also enjoyed to see Aislinn and Keenan's relationship develop. At the same time I'd also love Keenan to be with Donia. So all in all, the love stories are very interesting to watch and I'm looking forward to find out who will end up together.

Like always, Melissa Marr's writing was very vivid and made it incredibly easy to imagine the world she created. I'm sure that the faeries in this story will become even more cruel in the final two novels and I'm excited to see whether the impending war will claim many victims. All in all, Fragile Eternity was an interesting sequel with a few flaws, but I'm still looking forward to continue this series.

Following books of the series:


Have you read this series? What did you think about it?
Carina

4 comments:

  1. I think we feel a bit of the same about this series, Carina, not totally in love. It's been ages since I read this book and I do own Radiant Shadows but I haven't picked it up yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to agree about this series. I liked it, but it's not a series I am dying to finish. I haven't read the last two books. I keep meaning to get to it. I do like the characters, but there's just something missing. :/

    Thanks for sharing your honest opinion on the book... It's nice to know I'm not the only one that feels this way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree. Didn't love this series, but it certainly kept my attention. I really like Niall and Irial, I find them in particular really interesting. Also the values and mores of the Faerie societies just seem so foreign and fascinating and also kept me reading. I too am very interested in how Marr will wrap this up. Still need to read Darkest Mercy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm weird - I only read the first and the last book of this series....lol I'm not really a fan of the Fae but I needed to know what happened with Seth/Ash/Keenan/Donia.

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!