Thursday, September 8, 2011

Review: Dark Inside by Jeyn Roberts

Dark Inside by Jeyn Roberts
Publisher: Macmillan UK
Date of Publication: September 2nd, 2011
Source: Received from UK publisher
Pages: 368

Goodreads Summary:
Four teenagers on the same road in a world gone mad. Struggling to survive, clinging on to love and meaning wherever it can be found. THE DARK INSIDE is a stunning, cinematic thriller: 28 DAYS LATER meets THE ROAD.
Since mankind began, civilizations have always fallen: the Romans, the Greeks, the Aztecs…. Now it’s our turn.
Huge earthquakes rock the world. Cities are destroyed. But something even worse is happening. An ancient evil has been unleashed, hooking on to weakness, turning the unwary into hunters, killers, crazies.

Mason: His mother is dying after a terrible car accident. As he endures a last vigil at her hospital bed, his school is bombed and razed to the ground. Everyone he knows is killed.
Aries: A school bus, an aftershock and a crash. Pulled out of the wreckage by a mysterious stranger, she’s about to discover a world changed forever.
Clementine: An emergency meeting at the town hall that descends into murderous chaos. Outside the rest of their community encircle with weapons. How can those you trust turn into savage strangers?
Michael: A brutal road rage incident. When the police arrive on the scene they gun down the guilty and turn on the by-standing crowd. Where do you go for justice when even the lawmakers have turned bad?



My Rating: 4.0 / 5

What I thought about it:
I remember saying about a lot of books that I'd love to be a part of their world for at least a day to experience what I've read about. But let me tell you one thing: I do not want to be a part of the world that is presented in Dark Inside. It is scary and sometimes it took a lot of control for me not to scream at the book.

The story is told by a third person narrator who constantly switches between four (or rather five) points of view. Aries, Michael, Clementine and Mason all experience the earthquakes and their consequences in their own way and have to struggle to survive. All of them are very likeable characters that I often felt incredibly sorry for.

Almost every new page included a new horrific situation, a new problem these characters had to face. The majority of people seems to have gone crazy after the earthquakes. Violence and killing are the new pastime for the so-called Baggers and even though most of them don't try to hide their new attitude, you can never be sure whom to trust.

After finishing this novel, a lot of questions are left unanswered. Why are so many people going crazy and murderous? How can this be connected to the earthquakes? And why exactly do some stay sane? And even though I might have an idea whose story we're being told by the fifth point of view (called "nothing") - who is this? But since this book is the first in a trilogy, I'm sure we're going to get all the answer we want.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed Dark Inside even though I felt like I'd go crazy myself if I had to face another cliffhanger at the end of a chapter. Jeyn Roberts has a wonderful style of writing which pulled me into the story and made me feel like I was facing these monsters as well. I can't wait to see what she has planned for these characters (maybe a few more romantic moments?) and the scary world they live in.



Have you read Dark Inside? What did you think about it?
Carina

2 comments:

  1. Wow! This book sounds scary as hell! (Pardon!) I actually envy you for reading it, as I tend to shy away from super scary books. This really doesn't sound like a world I would want to live in either. Eeek! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read this one! I've read some great things about it. Great review.

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!