Friday, September 9, 2011

Review: Cold Kiss by Amy Garvey

Cold Kiss by Amy Garvey
Publisher: HarperTeen
Expected Publication: September 20th, 2011
Source: NetGalley
Pages: 336
Goodreads Summary:
When her boyfriend, Danny, is killed in a car accident, Wren can’t imagine living without him. Wild with grief, she uses the untamed powers she’s inherited to bring him back. But the Danny who returns is just a shell of the boy she once loved.

Wren has spent four months keeping Danny hidden, while her life slowly unravels around her. Then Gabriel DeMarnes transfers to her school and somehow, inexplicably, he can sense her secret. Wren finds herself drawn to Gabriel, who is so much more alive than the ghost of the boy she loved. But Wren can’t turn her back on Danny or the choice she made for him—and she realizes she must find a way to make things right, even if it means breaking her own heart.

Amy Garvey’s transcendent teen debut is perfect for fans of Shiver and Beautiful Creatures. Wren’s unforgettable voice and story will stay with readers long after the last page is turned.
 

My Rating: 2.5 / 5

What I thought about it:
Cold Kiss is a story about losing the person you love and how hard it can be to cope with this loss. Wren has lost her boyfriend, her first love, and it's impossible for her to deal with it. So she does the one thing she thinks is the best solution for her: She raises Danny from the dead only to realize that the boy she once loved is already gone.

What I really liked about Cold Kiss is the fact that the story immediately starts. You don't have to read a long introduction, but you are confronted with Wren's problematic situation right at the beginning. To add to this, Amy Garvey's writing is incredibly easy to read and I could finish this novel very fast without feeling the need to take a break and put it aside.

The only thing that made me quite sad was that I just couldn't seem to connect to the characters. While I felt sorry for Wren and wish she didn't have to deal with such an awful situation, she isn't a character that stayed with me for long. To be honest, the whole story wasn't something I constantly thought about. It was nice to read, but didn't make a lasting impression on me.

I'm also wondering whether this is part of a series. While I liked the ending, it also left some questions unanswered and some problems unsolved, which confuses me.

All in all, Cold Kiss was a novel that I enjoyed but didn't love. If you're a fan of stories which incorporate witchcraft and zombies and combine this with a lot of angst, this could be the perfect novel for you.



Have you read Cold Kiss? What did you think about it?
Carina

2 comments:

  1. I love stories that start right off the bat, but characterization is probably the most important thing in a book for me. I think I'll probably pass on this one...at least, for now!

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this book is coming up on my tbr pile. the premise is interesting--i'm eager to see what i'll think of it. thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!