Friday, September 30, 2011

Review: City of Glass by Cassandra Clare

City of Glass by Cassandra Clare
Publisher: Walker Books
First published: March 24th, 2009
Source: Bought
Pages: 492

Previous book in the series:
City of Bones - my review 
City of Ashes - my review 
Goodreads Summary:
To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters -- never mind that enter-ing the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight.

As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadow-hunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadow-hunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her newfound powers to help save the Glass City -- whatever the cost?

My Rating: 5.0 / 5

First thoughts:
Wow. This series definitely makes it impossible to pick up another book immediately after finishing this. It will stay with you for hours, or even days. And even though City of Glass could be the perfect ending for this series, I am extremely happy that there will be more books set in this world.

The following might include spoilers for people who haven't read City of Bones and City of Ashes.

More detailed:
City of Glass is the third installment of the The Mortal Instruments series and finally gave me the answers to the thousands of questions that I had while reading the first two books. It made me sigh, smile, laugh and scream frustratedly at those fictional characters - it was an emotional rollercoaster.

Just like the other two books, this novel is told by a third person narrator. While the storytelling is concentrated on Clary's point of view, I loved the small glimpses of other people's experiences and thoughts. This always helped me to understand, and appreciate, some certain characters (e.g. Simon) more.

I really enjoyed all the background knowledge about Jace and Clary, Valentine and Jocelyn in this book. There were a lot of questions left open for a long time and it's great to see everything come together now. Little details, which could be found all over the story, finally have a meaning and help to understand why certain things happened.

While I'm completely in love with Jace and Clary's story and their scenes never failed to make me smile (or, in some cases, shout at the book), I always squealed like a little girl when I encountered Magnus and Alec in one scene. They are definitely one of my favorite fictional couples and I hope to see more of them together in the future books.

As far as I know, The Mortal Instruments was originally planned to be a trilogy and you can definitely see this in City of Glass. The ending is completely satisfying and if there wasn't another book, it would be okay. But of course I am very happy that there'll be another three books, because I'm not willing to leave this world already.

All in all, I loved City of Glass as much as I loved the other two previous books of this series. It is amazingly well written and the storyline has a few very intriguing twists that I really enjoyed. If you haven't read this (or even this series) yet, please do so now. I am sure that you will not regret it.

Following books of the series:


Have you read City of Glass / this series? What did you think about it?
Carina

4 comments:

  1. Great review! This book is actually next up on my to be read pile. I'm glad to see you enjoyed it and hope that I'll enjoy it just as much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I loved this book! And yes it was supposed to be a trilogy but now she's coming out with 3 more books in the series. The 4th isin't as good as the first 3, but I still enjoyed it. Hope you do too. Great review!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this book very much! It was good to finally get some closure on the whole Clary/Jace sibiling thing :)

    Although I did enjoy COG very much, my fav TMI series book is book 1, City of Bones. Loved Jace in that one!

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read this series, but your review really makes me want to! It sounds like its a great series from start to finish!

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!