Friday, September 16, 2011

Review: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Publisher: Walker Books
Date of Publication: March 27th, 2007
Source: Received as a gift
Pages: 442
Goodreads Summary:
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . . 

My Rating: 5.0 / 5

What I thought about it:
I always heard about the The Mortal Instruments series that it's supposed to be one of the best Young Adult series out there. But since a lot of hype tends to make people (or at least me) a little bit skeptical, I always put off reading it. When a lovely person got me a copy of City of Bones, I could no longer find excuses and had to read it. And now I'm more than happy that I did.

City of Bones completely lived up to my expectations, which had been built up by the hype surrounding it. It was a captivating story set in an incredible world that I hope to explore more in the following novels. The Shadowhunters and the adventures they experience were wonderful to read about.

Over night, Clary realizes that everything she has believed to know never had been true. She learns about Shadowhunters and how she is connected to them, having to question everything she has ever experienced. While City of Bones is told by a third person narrator, we mostly get to hear the story from Clary's point of view and live through her confusion and fear.

As people have predicted it, I developed a huge weakness for one certain Shadowhunter: Jace. I was a little bit scared that the love story would be too similar to Cassandra Clare's other novel Clockwork Angel, but I was happy to realize that it's not. And Jace certainly is one of the most interesting male fictional characters and I can't wait to read more about him.

I also liked most of the secondary characters, although I have to admit that I just couldn't warm up to Simon, Clary's best friend. While he really seems like a nice person and probably would do everything for Clary, I couldn't really develop any serious attachment to him. I just don't care what will happen to him

I've also been warned that the ending might be a shock for me and believe me when I say that I didn't see that coming. Once I was finished, I was angry at myself for not having the sequel City of Ashes nearby, because I definitely hate cliffhanger endings. And this one was truly awful.

All in all, City of Bones was an amazing novel. If you haven't read this, you should really do this now (don't wait as long as I did), but once you realize that you like this novel, you should get the sequel. I didn't and I regretted it.

Following books of the series:


Have you read City of Bones / this series? What did you think about it?
Carina

7 comments:

  1. great review! I loved this series, it is one of my favourites! I also enjoyed Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare!

    Amy @ Following The Reader

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review :)I love how this series is different from Clockwork Angel. It's so similar to me yet soooo different! lol and yes the ending was incredible haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right!! I was/am totally skeptical of this book BECAUSE it's mega popular!
    Also, while people can't praise it enough.. a couple of them told me it's not very well-written?!
    I probably should just go ahead and read it though!! Glad to know you enjoyed it so much!
    Also I am oh-so curious about Jace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy you liked it! :) Jace is such a stud isn't he?? I had the audiobook which quite frankly, is not the same so I think I may have to just buy it paper formate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm ashamed to admit I have this whole series sitting on my shelf and I've never even attempted to pick it up. Curse my enormous TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still have not read this series - I really need to get hold of it and read. Sounds so good. But as Lesley said - my TBR list is just so big.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this book. I have just started City of Ashes and have bought book 3&4 along with Clockwork Angel. And might I add, it's a relief to hear that the love story in City of Bones is different from Clockwork Angel. I plan on reading Clockwork Angel soon but had a bit of fear that maybe the love stories of these books would be too alike. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!