Friday, August 19, 2011

Review: Heavenly by Jennifer Laurens

Heavenly by Jennifer Laurens
Publisher: Grove Creek Publishing
Date of Publication: August 15th, 2011
Source: Received from author
Pages: 280

Goodreads Summary:
I met someone who changed everything. Matthias. My autistic sister's guardian angel. Honest. Inspiring. Funny. Hot. And immortal. That was the problem. What could I do? I did what any other girl would do-I fell in love with him.

Zoe's sister darts in front of cars. Her brother's a pothead. Her parents are so overwhelmed; they don't see Zoe lost in her broken life. Zoe escapes the only way she knows how: partying. Matthias, a guardian sent from Heaven, watches over Zoe's autistic sister. After Zoe is convinced he's legit, angel and lost girl come together in a love that changes destiny. But Heaven on Earth can't last forever.
 



My Rating: 4.0 / 5

What I thought about it:
Heavenly is a very surprising and beautifully written story about falling in love and the doubt that everything could actually work out and turn for the better. You get to see how Zoe has to struggle with her life and the things she has to deal with and it's lovely to see how Matthias changes her attitude and helps her to cope with her problems.

Actually, Heavenly is the first story about angels that put a focus onto faith and believing in God. While most other angel novels only refer to this topic every now and then, it's an important part in Zoe's story. Without having noticed it, her belief enables her to see Matthias who is her autistic sister's guardian. And even though I'm usually not into novels with religious undertones, it was just enough to explain her ability to see him and didn't overwhelm me with questions of faith.

For the biggest part of the novel, Heavenly seemed to me like a contemporary novel with a few paranormal elements added. It mostly concentrated on Zoe's struggle to finally feel welcome in her family, without trying to hurt her parents by telling them how she truly felt about her situation. But exactly this made the angel aspects very believable and turned this novel into a great introduction for a series.

Heavenly has a variety of characters that are both, likeable and unpleasant. Our main characters, Zoe and Matthias, belong to the former group. While it's very easy to understand Zoe and see how everything tends to overwhelm her from time to time, Matthias, too, is a very interesting character. Most of the time he is a very calm (sometimes even a little bit too calm), but a few moments let you see that there is a different side of him, which I'd love to see more of in the sequel.

I'm a little bit on the fence about the secondary characters, though. While it seems like her family situation improves towards the end, I had a hard time accepting the behaviour of her parents and her brother. Some reactions could be excused but overall I just felt sorry for Zoe. The same goes for her "friends" - some of them probably don't even deserve to be called humans.

Overall, I truly enjoyed reading Heavenly and after that very surprising ending I'm sure I will continue reading this series. For everyone who likes angel stories, this could definitely be the next good book to read; and even for someone who usually prefers realistic fiction, this could be a could "entrance" into the paranormal world.






The second novel of the series
was released on April 29th, 2010 by Grove Creek Publishing.










The third novel of the series
was released on October 1st, 2010 by Grove Creek Publishing.







Have you read Heavenly? What did you think about it?
Carina

3 comments:

  1. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the novel. I had been readin a lot of action, death, and hopeless books. This one, I don't know, warm? I found Mathias to be a comfort - without the brooding and self-loathing. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading and reviewing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished this book yesterday. I loved it! I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. I'm going to write a review in the next few days.
    Great review! I feel pretty much the same way about this book as you do. :)

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!