Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Review: Forgive my Fins by Tera Lynn Childs

Forgive my Fins by Tera Lynn Childs
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Published: May 19th, 2010
Pages: 293 (Paperback)

Goodreads Summary:
Lily Sanderson has a secret, and it’s not that she has a huge crush on gorgeous swimming god Brody Bennett, who makes her heart beat flipper-fast. Unrequited love is hard enough when you’re a normal teenage girl, but when you’re half human, half mermaid like Lily, there’s no such thing as a simple crush.

Lily’s mermaid identity is a secret that can’t get out, since she’s not just any mermaid – she’s a Thalassinian princess. When Lily found out three years ago that her mother was actually a human, she finally realized why she didn’t feel quite at home in Thalassinia, and she’s been living on land and going to Seaview high school ever since, hoping to find where she truly belongs. Sure, land has its problems – like her obnoxious, biker boy neighbor Quince Fletcher – but it has that one major perk – Brody. The problem is, mermaids aren’t really the casual dating type – when they “bond,” it’s for life.

When Lily’s attempt to win Brody’s love leads to a tsunami-sized case of mistaken identity, she is in for a tidal wave of relationship drama, and she finds out, quick as a tailfin flick, that happily-ever-after never sails quite as smoothly as you planned.
 



My Rating: 4.0 / 5

What I thought about it: 
Forgive my Fins was an incredibly refreshing and cute story about a sweet mermaid whose love story made me giggle and laugh incontrolably. If you decide to read this novel, I'm pretty sure that you will have a huge smile on your face once you've read the last word.

I have never read a story about mermaids before, so this was something very new for me. But it was so much fun to get introduced into such a world that I'll definitely take a look at more mermaid novels in the future. The world Tera Lynn Childs created was like one in a fairytale - beautiful, with a few dangers, but overall just positive. And this is something I thoroughly enjoyed.

The love story was cute as well. After having created a bond to Quinn accidentally, Lily has to deal with quite a few problems. Feelings start to show even though she is trying to blame the magic of the bond and her crush on Brody still hasn't ended happily. I have to admit that especially the last part, could get a little bit tiring (after the 100th time that Lily admired Brody, I wanted to scream at her for not appreciating Quinn - he's too awesome and hot to be ignored).

But the ending made up for that. It was very unexpected and now I'll have to read the sequel soon, because I'm dying to find out what will happen next! All in all, Forgive my Fins was wonderful story that never failed to make me smile. If you like a light-hearted novel, pick up a copy of this.






The second novel of the series
was released on June 28th, 2011 by HarperCollins Children's Books.







Have you read Forgive my Fins? What did you think about it?
Carina

3 comments:

  1. I loved this! Glad you enjoyed it :) Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mermaids are seriously my favorite thing to read about! I want to read Forgive my Fins very much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to read this book for a while now! I see it every time I go to the library. I'll have to check it out next time I go. :) Great review, so glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!