Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Review: Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor


Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
Publisher:
Little, Brown & Company (US) - September 27th, 2011
Hodder & Stoughton (UK) - September 29th, 2011
Source: Received from UK publisher
Pages: 448

Goodreads Summary:
Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.
In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.
And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherworldly war.
Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages—not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.
When one of the strangers—beautiful, haunted Akiva—fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?



My Rating: 5.0 / 5

What I thought about it:
Daughter of Smoke and Bone is a wonderfully written and very special story. It’s like nothing I have read before and with every page I was surprised by its uniqueness. Laini Taylor created an incredible world with intriguing characters and creatures in a carefully constructed story.

Already within the first few pages I was hooked on this story and it was very hard to stop reading. Laini Taylor’s writing is extraordinary and captured my interest with every new word. Soon I needed to continue reading to find out more about the characters and the mysteries that surrounded them.

But only once I was farther into the story I realized how one detail led to another and how everything together unraveled a secret that made me happy and sad at the same time. Let me tell you one thing: This ending was beautiful and heart-breaking and I honestly don’t know how to be able to wait for the second novel of this trilogy. I need to know what will happen next to the star-crossed lovers I have come to love.

Karou is a great main character and I loved reading her story. Her life is quite special and the people who are close to her – both, family and love interest - are even more fascinating. I never thought I would like reading a story with a focus on creatures like this, but – wow. Now I wish I could be part of Laini Taylor’s world.

All in all, Daughter of Smoke and Bone is a story that stayed with me for days after finishing it, making it almost impossible for other novels to live up to my expectations. If you’re looking for a story with a world you have not seen before and that will surprise you with every new chapter, Daughter of Smoke and Bone is the right novel for you.



Have you read Daughter of Smoke and Bone? What did you think about it?
Carina

5 comments:

  1. This one sounds absolutely amazing and I've been hearing nothing but good things about it. I can't wait to read it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to start this one. I have it for review so I'm hoping its good. Great review hun :) Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear you enjoyed this! I can't wait to read it myself, it sounds pretty awesome! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I have read it and my review is up closer to the release date :)

    Wonderful review! I have given it the exact same rating. I hunger for the second installment already.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot WAIT to read this book.. I'm absolutely in love with Laini Taylor's writing.

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!