Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Review: The Cordovan Vault by J. Monkeys

The Cordovan Vault by J. Monkeys
Publisher: CreateSpace / Self-published
Date of Publication: March 10th, 2011
Source: Received from author
Buy: Amazon
Pages: 314

Goodreads Summary:
Kayla and Quinn are having a really bad weekend. For 14-year old enemies whose normal life means that they are forced to live together because her brother married his sister, it takes something extraordinary for things to be really bad.

Like their house exploding.
Or people trying to kill them.

When a mysterious DVD turns up with the message "We are not who you think we are," they begin a crazy adventure to figure out what that means and they find that nothing is the way it seems.
 



My Rating: 3.5 / 5

What I thought about it:
The Cordovan Vault throws likeable characters into a situation that never stops to raise new questions and put them into new dangers. 14-year-old Kayla and Quinn are constantly challenged with solving mysteries that they continue to deal with in a way that is mature beyond their years and always keeps the story interesting.

I have to admit that The Cordovan Vault is a book that I probably wouldn't have picked up, if the author hadn't contacted me. But I also have to say that I'm grateful for the chance to read it. While I was unsure in the beginning whether I would really enjoy this, I soon got into the story and looked forward to see how everything will unravel.

J. Monkey's writing in The Cordovan Vault is really good and made it possible for me to connect with the main characters. My biggest fear was that I would have a hard time understanding 14-year-olds, but they are written in a way that makes them both, very likeable and relatable. The way they handle the things that happen to them seems grown-up without being unrealistic.

Of course hardly any 14-year-old has to deal with the things they had to deal with. Their older siblings (who raised them) disappearing, strangers wanting to kill them and secret societies that might have the answers they need. But I have to say that once small paranormal elements were added, I felt a lot more comfortable with everything.

I'd also dub The Cordovan Vault as the novel that has improved my general knowledge the most. Never before have I learned so much about (US-American) history, art, architecture and just lots of other things in one single novel. Of course I didn't check whether every tiny thing is true, but no matter what - J. Monkeys seems to have done a fantastic research.

All in all, this was a very suspenseful read. And even though it's not something I'd usually pick up, I find myself interested to see what will happen now, because The Cordovan Vault's ending definitely left some questions to be answered. Therefore I'm looking forward to the sequel The Peacock Tale which is expected to be published in Fall 2011.



If you like to, take a look at the book trailer.
Have you read The Cordovan Vault? What did you think about it?

Carina

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!