Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Review: Bloodlines by Richelle Mead

Bloodlines by Richelle Mead
Publisher: Razorbill
Date of Publication: August 23rd, 2011
Source: Bought
Pages: 421

Goodreads Summary:
When alchemist Sydney is ordered into hiding to protect the life of Moroi princess Jill Dragomir, the last place she expects to be sent is a human private school in Palm Springs, California. But at their new school, the drama is only just beginning.

Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, Bloodlines explores all the friendship, romance, battles and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive - this time in a part-vampire, part-human setting where the stakes are even higher and everyone's out for blood.
 



My Rating: 4.0 / 5

What I thought about it:
Bloodlines is a great start for a series that will hopefully become on of my favorites. Just like its preceding series Vampire Academy, this novel made it hard for me to put it down and to get it out of my head. Even once I was finished, I still thought about what happened in this world and I hope to return to these fantastic characters as soon as possible.

I know that a lot of people who loved Vampire Academy were scared about the change of the narrative perspective. And yes, I have to admit that Sydney is very different and after an extrovert Rose Hathaway you might need some time to get used to her. But I loved reading the story from her point of view. She has to deal with a life that isn't easy and more than once I felt sorry for her.

But the way she dealt with her situation and the people she encountered was very interesting to witness. If you give her (and this new series) a chance you might even see that she and Rose have quite a few things in common - especially when it comes to helping the people they care about. I'm looking forward to see how she will develop even more.

The other characters in Bloodlines make it easy for lovers of Vampire Academy to adapt to this new series. We have already met most of the important ones and it's fantastic too see them again. Yes, there were a few that didn't appear and I actually missed them, but since my favorite one made regular appearances and was as amazing as I remember him to be, I can't complain.

Sadly there was one thing I really missed and that was romance. Just like the first Vampire Academy novel, this story starts out quite slow, but I had really hoped that there would be a few more romantic moments. Yes, we get hints about the guy(s) Sydney might start to like in the future, but I expected there to be a little bit more.

All in all, Bloodlines mostly lived up to my expectations and I'm looking forward to see how this story will develop in the future. It definitely has the potential to become a fantastic series and if you loved Vampire Academy, I'm sure you will like this, too. For people who haven't read the Vampire Academy series, I definitely recommend to do so before reading Bloodlines.






The second novel of the series
will be released on June 19th, 2011 by Razorbill.







Have you read Bloodlines? What did you think about it?
Carina

5 comments:

  1. I havent read the Vampire Academy, but I kind of want to read Bloodlines. Do I need to read Vampire Academy first in order to understand what's going on in Bloodlines?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No you don't HAVE to, but Bloodlines will make more sense if you do read it and then you'll also get to see Sydney's complete transformation since she's in some of the VA series. And, trust me, you don't want to miss Rose and Dimitri.

      Delete
  2. Glad you liked it. I've got this to read next too and I'm so hoping its good. Great review - Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really wasn't expecting to like Bloodlines as much as the VA series, but I did! I like that Sydney is not just like Rose. And Adrian is totally awesome in this book. :) Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carina-

    Didn't know where to leave this but wanted to thank you for letting me know about the problem on my form and it's fixed. No worries, if you win, you still get to pick your own book and don't have to settle for the US pick!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!