Friday, August 5, 2011

Review: A Beautiful Dark by Jocelyn Davies

A Beautiful Dark by Jocelyn Davies 
Publisher: HarperTeen
Expected Publication: September 27th, 2011
Pages: 320

Goodreads Summary:
On the night of Skye's seventeenth birthday, she meets two enigmatic strangers. Complete opposites--like fire and ice--Asher is dark and wild, while Devin is fair and aloof. Their sudden appearance sends Skye's life into a tailspin. She has no idea what they want, or why they seem to follow her every move--only that their presence coincides with a flurry of strange events. Soon she begins to doubt not just the identity of the two boys, but also the truth about her own past.

In the dead of a bitingly cold Colorado winter, Skye finds herself coming to terms with the impossible secret that threatens to shatter her world. Torn between Asher, who she can't help falling for, and Devin, who she can't stay away from, the consequences of Skye's choice will reach further than the three of them could ever imagine.
 



I received an eGalley of this novel via NetGalley. Thanks to HarperTeen for giving me a chance to read this. This did not influence my following opinion.



My Rating: 4.0 / 5

What I thought about it:
A Beautiful Dark is a heartfelt story about a girl who realizes that her life is not what it seemed to be like and who has to deal with the consequences of her parents' past. Skye's world is turned upside down by the arrival of Asher and Devin when she finds out that she is not as normal as she had believed all along.

It didn't take much time for me to finish A Beautiful Dark, because this novel is incredibly written and with every chapter that I finished, I wanted to read another one to find out what would happen next. The story is told from Skye's point of view - she has a great voice and is a very likeable character. You can really feel her confusion and frustration about the things happening to her and wish you could make it easier for her.

I haven't read many angel stories yet, so I'm still very new to that genre. But despite that it was really easy to get into it and I loved the angel mythology that Jocelyn Davies created for this. It's very fascinating and I can't wait to find out more about it, because there are still so many mysteries that need to be unraveled.

Skye's human friends also were an aspect that I thoroughly enjoyed in this novel. Cassie, Ian and Dan were wonderful secondary characters that are very loveable and continue to add some normalcy to the story - something that can be easily forgotten in a paranormal novel. I truly hope to see more of them and their stories in the future.

Of course I can't forget to mention Skye's love interests Asher and Devin. While both of them are fantastic in their own way (and Skye can be added to the list of YA main characters that have to make a truly difficult choice), they also stand for the decision she has to make between the dark - Asher - and the light - Devin - side. Although especially the true definiton of both sides starts to be questionable towards the end, which is another aspect I really enjoyed: Nothing is what it seems to be like.

All in all, A Beautiful Dark is a novel that I really enjoyed and I will definitely pick up a finished copy of this once it's released. If you're a fan of angel stories and mysteries, put this onto your wishlist.



Have you read A Beautiful Dark? What did you think about it?
Carina

3 comments:

  1. Loved it! Great review....one of my favourite reads this year :) Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read it yet. I want to read it sooo bad! Great review :)

    http://bumpsintheroad1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I am really looking forward to reading this. Hopefully I will get to it soon. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!