Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Review: Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini
Publisher: HarperTeen / Pan Macmillan (UK)
First published: April 5th, 2011
Pages: 514

Goodreads Summary:
Set on the island of Nantucket, STARCROSSED tells the tale of Helen Hamilton, a young woman whose destiny is forever altered when she meets Lucas Delos and tries to kill him in front of her entire high school. Which is terribly inconvenient, not only because Lucas is the most beautiful boy on the island, but also because Helen is so achingly shy she suffers physical pain whenever she is given too much attention.

Making matters worse, Helen is beginning to suspect she’s going crazy. Whenever she’s near Lucas or any member of his family she sees the ghostly apparitions of three women weeping bloody tears, and suffers the burden of an intense and irrational hate. She soon learns that she and Lucas are destined to play the leading roles in a Greek tragedy that the Three Fates insist on repeating over and over again throughout history. Like her namesake, Helen of Troy, she’s destined to start a war by falling in love. But even though Lucas and Helen can see their own star-crossed destiny, they’re still powerfully attracted to each other. Will they give up their personal happiness for the greater good, or risk it all to be together?
 



My Rating: 4.5 / 5

What I thought about it:
To my shame I have to admit that I put off reading Starcrossed for a while after reading a few reviews about how this is like a second Twilight. But let me tell you: I enjoyed this novel a lot more than Twilight.

Starcrossed is a fantastic story full of mysteries and loveable characters that make it hard to put this novel down and you will constantly wish that you could read faster so you’ll know if everyone will be okay in the end. And then, when you finally know how this novel ends, you wish you could already possess the sequel Dreamless

What drew me in about this story, was the fact that this is based on Greek mythology and I really, really love it. There is just something special about those stories of ancient gods, goddesses and their heroes that never fails to fascinate me. And Josephine incorporated this perfectly into the story and whenever I read a name that was familiar, I squealed like a little girl.

I admit that in the beginning it seems to be a little similar to Twilight. You have a huge, mysterious family and a very shy, young girl and some quite dangerous aspects to the love story. But once I got into the story, I realized how much more detailed this is, how carefully built this novel is and how much I really love it. 

It has fantastic characters (I can't get enough of Hector and I deperately hope that there will be a lot more of him in the future!) and a storyline that got me hooked. Helen and Lucas' love story is beautiful and with every page I turned I hoped that they will be able to find a way to be happy. They're both very intriguing and well written characters and I'm looking forward to read about how they'll deal with their situation.

While the third person narrator made it a little bit hard in the beginning to identify with the characters, it soon turned out to be the right decision: You get to see the whole story from different point of views which is incredibly interesting.

All in all, Starcrossed is a fantastic debut novel and if you like Greek mythology, starcrossed lovers and fabulous characters, you have to get a copy of it.



Tomorrow I'll post a small interview with Josephine Angelini where she talks about authors she likes, the sequel Dreamless and more. And I'll give away a copy of Starcrossed. So be sure to stop by!

Have you read Starcrossed? What did you think about it?
Carina

4 comments:

  1. Great review! I bought Starcrossed recently but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I'll definitely have to get to it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you enjoyed it! This is one of my favourite reads of 2011 :) Great review hun :) Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I put it off for the same reason but also... loved it too! :D It was awesome and Im glad you thought so too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading Starcrossed, it was hard for me to believe that this was Angelini's first novel. Her writing is confident and her characters are interesting individual personalities. The only thing that I think could have been improved on from the mechanics side of a book was the pacing. Everything was progressing well; with Angelini giving enough time for her character's to get into trouble and for the reader to develop a bond with them - until the end. The climax that the book had been building so well towards wasn't handled properly. It suddenly arrived and the careful attention that Angelini had paid to the rest of the story was thrown out the window as the climax began. She managed to regain some of it before the book ended, but I would have liked to see a smoother transition to the climax.

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!