Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Review: Sometimes It Happens by Lauren Barnholdt

Sometimes It Happens by Lauren Barnholdt
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Expected Publication: July 12th, 2011
Pages: 320

Goodreads Summary:
On the last day of her junior year, Hannah's boyfriend Sebastian dumped her. Facing a summer of loneliness, Hannah turns to her best friend Ava for comfort. Ava does what BFFs do: she stays by Hannah's side...until it's time for Ava to head up to Maine for the summer. 

Also left behind is Ava's boyfriend, Noah, who's such a great guy he gets Hannah a job at the diner he waits tables at. Slowly, Hannah comes out of her funk thanks to Noah's good conversation and their fun times at the diner. But things get complicated when their friendship turns into attraction--and one night, into a passionate kiss. 

The novel opens on the first day of senior year; the day Hannah is going to see Ava, Sebastian, and Noah all in one place. Over the course of the day secrets and betrayals are revealed, and alliances are broken and reformed. In the end, everyone is paired up once again, but not the way you might think... 



I received an eGalley of this novel via Galley Grab. Thanks to Simon & Schuster for giving me a chance to read this. This did not influence my following opinion.



My Rating: 4.0 / 5

What I thought about it:
Sometimes It Happens is a sweet story that you can devour very fast and that will leave you content and happy. Yes, it deals with cheating and no, I don't think cheating is okay, but this novel deals with the consequences and feelings very realistically and I enjoyed every moment of this story.

The story is told from Hannah's point of view and the first person narration makes it quite easy to identify with her and her problems. She is a very likeable character and I can completely sympathize with the confusion concerning her feelings. She tells her story alternately in the past - what happened over the summer - and the presence - what is happening on the first day of school. By switching between different times, it never gets boring and I constantly kept reading to find out what happens next.

Like I said before, cheating is not on my list of favorite things. I'd rather put it onto the list of "things you should never do", especially when it's your best friend's boyfriend you fall in love with. But I also have to admit that Lauren Barnholdt made it very easy for me to understand Hannah, especially because Noah is such a sweet guy who is almost impossible to resist. At the same time I had some problems with liking Ava, which made supporting Hannah and Noah's "affair" a lot easier.

All in all, I really enjoyed Sometimes It Happens and I'm pretty sure that everyone who is looking for a light-hearted but meaningful story will like this as well.



Have you read Sometimes It Happens? What did you think about it?
Carina

1 comment:

  1. Great review! I finished this book yesterday, and really enjoyed it. I love Noah! ;) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!