Saturday, July 16, 2011

Review: Shadowspell by Jenna Black

Shadowspell by Jenna Black
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
First published on: January 4th, 2011
Pages: 295

Previous book in the series:
Glimmerglass - my review

Goodreads Summary:
On top of spending most of her time in a bunkerlike safe house and having her dates hijacked by a formidable Fae bodyguard, Faeriewalker Dana Hathaway is in for some more bad news: the Erlking and his pack of murderous minions known as the Wild Hunt have descended upon Avalon. With his homicidal appetite and immortal powers, the Erlking has long been the nightmare of the Fae realm. A fragile treaty with the Faerie Queen, sealed with a mysterious spell, is the one thing that keeps him from hunting unchecked in Avalon, the only place on Earth where humans and Fae live together. Which means Dana’s in trouble, since it’s common knowledge that the Faerie Queen wants her – and her rare Faeriewalker powers – dead. The smoldering, sexy Erlking’s got his sights set on Dana, but does he only seek to kill her, or does he have something much darker in mind?



My Rating: 4.0 / 5

What I thought about it:
Shadowspell is just as wonderful as the first novel of this series Glimmerglass and pulls you into a cute story about first love, faerie politics and how everybody craves a little bit of normalcy. After a certain point it was hard for me to stop reading and I am really looking forward to the third novel.

Dana is still a great voice to listen to and despite her stubborn attitude it's fun to see her deal with the problems she has. Being locked up isn't easy for her and to get out of her situation she makes some stupid decisions, but this is what I like about her. She accepts her mistakes and doesn't complain constantly about the things she cannot change.

We could see some development in her relationship with Ethan, but some unfortunate events put up even more obstacles for the young couple. I'm definitely looking forward to see how they will deal with those in the future, although I have to admit that I'm a little bit disappointed - it wasn't as much development as I had hoped for.

The same applies to the world of Avalon that I would have loved to explore more in this novel. While it was good that we weren't buried in information about the faerie world in the first book and I still enjoy the connection to humanity in Avalon, I expected to learn a bit more about Faerie and would have really liked to see a bit more of Dana's Faeriewalker abilities.

A new character that I thoroughly enjoyed meeting was the Erlking / Arawn. He appears to be cruel and the way he acts to get what he wants is definitely manipulative and not good, but there is something in the way Jenna Black describes his behaviour that makes me believe that there is more to him than being the leader of the Wild Hunt. I'm definitely looking forward to more of him in the third novel and I can't wait how his bargain with Dana will turn out.

All in all, Shadowspell was a lovely sequel and I enjoyed every word of it. A small warning though: Jenna Black doesn't sugarcoat things and sex is a important part of this novel. If you are uncomfortable with this, you should not read this without considering that.







The third novel of the series
will be released on July 5th, 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin.







Have you read the The Faeriewalker series? What did you think about it?
Carina

2 comments:

  1. I've want to read Glimmerglass for a while now!! I really need to get this series started :)

    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really can't wait to start this series! You're making me want to start them, like, NOW! Great review! I can't wait to read this. :)

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!