Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Review: Legacy by Cayla Kluver

Legacy by Cayla Kluver
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Published: June 21st, 2011
Pages: 496

Goodreads Summary:
I noticed his eyes. They were blue, sharp and intense. Despite the youthful glows of his suntanned face, his eyes were cold and unfriendly, suggesting he had great experience in the world and was now expecting the worst.

In her seventeenth year, Princess Alera of Hytanica faces one duty: to marry the man who will be king. But her father's choice of suitor fills her with despair.

When the palace guard captures and intruder—a boy her age with steel-blue eyes, hailing from her kingdom's greatest enemy—Alera is alarmed…and intrigued. But she could not have guessed that their clandestine meetings would unveil the dark legacy shadowing both their lands.


In this mystical world of court conspiracies and blood magic, loyalties will be tested. Courage won't be enough. And as the battle begins for everything Alera holds dear, love may be the downfall of a kingdom.



I received an eGalley of this novel via NetGalley. Thanks to Harlequin Teen for giving me a chance to read this. This did not influence my following opinion.



My Rating: 4.0 / 5

What I thought about it:
Legacy is a wonderfully written story about a young princess living in a kingdom ruled by patriarchalism which makes it impossible for her to make her own choices. It's heartbreaking to see how Alera struggles for her own freedom and is constantly suppressed by the men she has to deal with.

I have to admit that the beginning of this story was a little bit slow, but if you have similar thoughts about that, please don't give up reading. After some time I was able to really get sucked into the world Cayla Kluver created and I really needed to know what would happen next.

Cayla's style of writing is fantastic. While reading this story you can really see every little detail right in front of you and I had no problems when imagining the world Alera lives in. And it is quite a interesting world, full of mysteries which will make you want to speculate about their solutions. I'll definitely need to read the sequel because I'm dying to find out some answers to certain questions - especially the ending of Legacy left me breathless and I can't wait to find out what will happen next.

What I'm also looking forward to is to see how the characters develop. While I already really like some of the people you encounter in Legacy (Alera, her sister Miranna, London, Temerson), I hope to see some other sides of characters like Steldor. Especially he is only described in one (not very likeable) way and I really hope that there are other sides to him. I also hope to see more of Narian and his relationship to Alera.

All in all, Legacy is a very beautifully written story that still leaves a lot of questions and mysteries unanswered and I'm looking forward to find out more about this wonderful world. But I'll also definitely get a finished copy of this, because this is a novel worth having on your bookshelf.



Have you read Legacy? What did you think about it?
Carina

2 comments:

  1. Great review. I got this one from Netgalley as well and can't wait to start reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this was a really interesting read, and am looking forward to seeing where the author goes with the story. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!