Friday, July 1, 2011

Review: Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr

Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr
Publisher: HarperTeen
First published on: May 1st, 2008
Pages: 325 (Paperback)

Previous book in the series: 
Wicked Lovely - my review

Goodreads Summary:
Unbeknownst to mortals, a power struggle is unfolding in a world of shadows and danger. After centuries of stability, the balance among the Faery Courts has altered, and Irial, ruler of the Dark Court, is battling to hold his rebellious and newly vulnerable fey together. If he fails, bloodshed and brutality will follow.
Seventeen-year-old Leslie knows nothing of faeries or their intrigues. When she is attracted to an eerily beautiful tattoo of eyes and wings, all she knows is that she has to have it, convinced it is a tangible symbol of changes she desperately craves for her own life.
The tattoo does bring changes—not the kind Leslie has dreamed of, but sinister, compelling changes that are more than symbolic. Those changes will bind Leslie and Irial together, drawing Leslie deeper and deeper into the faery world, unable to resist its allures, and helpless to withstand its perils...
 



My Rating: 4.0 / 5

What I thought about it:
Ink Exchange is a dark but beautiful story with characters that will fascinate you and who are almost impossible not to love. This novel of the Wicked Lovely series again focuses on the importance of making your own decisions and leading the life that you want to lead.

Ink Exchange's female main character is Leslie and - just like Aislinn - she is a very strong-minded girl. Her life has not been very easy for her, so she has to deal with her own demons while figuring out her place in the world of fairies. The latter is made quite hard for her, so it's impressive to see how she struggles for her own free will and wins. Especially this aspect of making your own decisions seems to be the main focus of the series so far and it is really wonderful to see such strong heroines.

The male main characters are very likeable as well. On one hand, there is Niall who seems to be one of the good guys but struggles with a very dark past as well. On the other hand, there is Irial - the king of the Dark Court - who is definitely introduced as the bad guy, but it doesn't take long until you see a softer and more vulnerable side of him. For me it's hard to decide whom I like better since both of them are very well written characters that I hope to encounter more often in future novels. 

While it wasn't very easy to adjust to Melissa Marr's fairies in the first novel, I liked them a lot better in Ink Exchange and I'm starting to feel a lot more comfortable in this world. All in all, I'm starting to really like this series and I already ordered the third book to find out what will happen next.



The following books in the series:




Have you read Ink Exchange? What did you think about it?
Carina

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my all-time favorites (the series). I adore it. ^^ I haven't read the last one- Darkest Mercy- yet, but it's on my list and I plan to pick it up soon. :)
    Niall and Irial are two of my favorite characters by far (well, besides Seth). I'm not really a fan of Keenan's character, though, to be honest. Haha.

    Great review. I hope you enjoy the rest of the series! :)

    Have a good weekend!

    <3
    Pixie

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!