Friday, July 8, 2011

Review: Hourglass by Myra McEntire

Hourglass by Myra McEntire
Publisher: Egmont USA
First published on: June 14th, 2011
Pages: 390

Goodreads Summary:
One hour to rewrite the past . . .
For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn’t there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents’ death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She’s tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.

So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson’s willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he’s around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?

Full of atmosphere, mystery, and romance, Hourglass merges the very best of the paranormal and science-fiction genres in a seductive, remarkable young adult debut.



My Rating: 5.0 / 5

What I thought about it:
I have to admit that the first thought I had once I was finished with Hourglass could work as a substitute for this review. It was: WOW. Not only was it impossible to stop reading, but Emerson is such a wonderful character with witty humour and an amazing story to tell that made me want to possess the sequel immediately.

This story was full of amazing relationships that made me want to be a part of their world and get to know those characters. Even though Emerson's parents are dead and she considers herself a freak, she came home from boarding school to lead a lovely life with her brother and his wife. Thomas and Dru are fantastic characters who are worthy of the parental role they play in Emerson's life and I can't wait to encounter them again.

Just like Thomas and Dru, there are many more great characters: Emerson's best friend Lily who's really lovely. Michael who Emerson has a very special connection to and who is a very swoon-worthy love interest - I can't wait to see how their relationship will develop after everything that has happened and has been revealed. Kaleb who is Michael's best friend and is quite interested in Emerson himself. (In the end, it doesn't matter which guy of the two she will pick - I'll gladly offer myself to comfort the one she didn't take.) And some other characters really surprised me with actions that I definitely didn't see coming.

This actually was the very first time travel story I ever read (let's ignore the time turner in Harry Potter) and the concept was really intriguing. Myra McEntire balanced out science and mystery very well and I'm looking forward to learn more about it. (Any chance I might be able to transport myself into the future to get a copy of the sequel?)

All in all, Hourglass was an amazingly written, heartfelt story that will leave you crave more of this lovely world.



Have you read Hourglass? What did you think about it?
Carina

4 comments:

  1. Great review! I haven't read this one yet but I've heard nothing but good things. I'll have to pick up a copy soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review :) I really want to read this book! I've heard really good stuff about it! :)

    I'm also a new follower of yours :)

    Hope you have a great weekend!

    If you get a chance you can stop by my blog: http://thoughts-of-an-endless-dreamer.blogspot.com/

    <3
    Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh l so can't wait to read this one!
    Everyone loves this, not one l would pick up but because of all the great bloggers, l will be =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still haven't gotten to read this yet, but I really, really want to! Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!