Friday, July 22, 2011

Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth

Divergent by Veronica Roth
Publisher: HarperCollins
First published on: May 1st, 2011
Pages: 489 (Paperback)

Goodreads Summary:
In Beatrice Prior’s dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can’t have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.
 



My Rating: 4.5 / 5

What I thought about it:
Divergent is one of those novels I was a little bit hesitant to read, because all the hype surrounding it made me fear that it could be a disappointment. But let me tell you: It definitely did not disappoint me. It has everything a really good dystopian novel has to have - a scary but intriguing new world, lots of action, a strong main character you can identify with and relationships / friendships that are really interesting to read about.

The world of Divergent is both frightening and captivating. People are divided into factions which they have to choose according to their beliefs when they're sixteen. Being initiated into Dauntless - the faction the main character Tris chose - is anything but a vacation and the tests the initiates have to face ensure that you won't be able to stop reading this novel. 

Tris is a realistic character with both, wonderful sides and flaws, which makes it quite easy to relate to her. She's strong and despite being in Dauntless is completely different from her old life in Abnegation, she adjusts and learns to lead her life there. She meets some wonderful people she can share her experiences with and some awful people who make life even harder for her. What I love most about Divergent's characters is that no character is black or white. The good ones make bad decisions and vice versa.

Of course Divergent has a love story as well that never failed to make me smile. Since it's part of a series, Tris and Four's relationship is allowed a slow progress and you can see the consistent developments to make their feelings for each other realistic. This is not about love at first sight, but about two persons who get to know each other and like what they find out.

All in all, Divergent is a wonderful dystopian novel that probably is the perfect introduction into a great new series. I definitely can't wait for the sequel Insurgent which is expected to be published 2012.



Have you read Divergent? What did you think about it?
Carina

6 comments:

  1. Great review... I thought it was a great book as well. The characters are real, and the lead is not some flippy, insecure girl (THANK GOD). I thought the part where the kid loses his eye was startling, way intense, but showed how competitive that world can be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really does sound so good! I can't wait to start my copy. 4.5/5 - that definitely makes it a must read for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. gerat review! I must get round to my copy soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I MUST make time to read this already! I seriously feel like I'm the only person that hasn't read it. ;) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the very beginning I wasn't so sure because of the grammatical errors (I get annoyed easily at those) but it quickly captivated me. It was an awesome read and I literally carried it around with me wherever I went so I could read whenever I had a moment to spare. I gave it four stars in my review because of the grammatical errors and because it seemed to me in places to be a little overdone in the emotional department.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous review! I wish I liked it like most people but I might read Insurgent. :)

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!