Friday, June 17, 2011

Review: Ten Things We Did by Sarah Mlynowski

Ten Things We Did by Sarah Mlynowski
Publisher: HarperTeen
First released on: June 7th, 2011
Pages: 354

Goodreads Summary:
2 girls + 3 guys + 1 house – parents = 10 things April and her friends did that they (definitely, maybe, probably) shouldn't have.
If given the opportunity, what sixteen-year-old wouldn't jump at the chance to move in with a friend and live parent-free? Although maybe "opportunity" isn't the right word, since April had to tell her dad a tiny little untruth to make it happen (see #1: "Lied to Our Parents"). But she and her housemate Vi are totally responsible and able to take care of themselves. How they ended up "Skipping School" (#3), "Throwing a Crazy Party" (#8), "Buying a Hot Tub" (#4), and, um, "Harboring a Fugitive" (#7) at all is kind of a mystery to them.
In this hilarious and bittersweet tale, Sarah Mlynowski mines the heart and mind of a girl on her own for the first time. To get through the year, April will have to juggle a love triangle, learn to do her own laundry, and accept that her carefully constructed world just might be falling apart . . . one thing-she-shouldn't-have-done at a time.
 



My Rating: 4.0 / 5

What I thought about it:
Ten Things We Did (and probably shouldn't have) was a very light-hearted and funny story that I devoured in one day. It has everything: Amazing friendships, first love and the confusion it can come with - and of course a terribly cute cat called Donut.

This novel's main character April has a lovely and very believable voice. Her thoughts are not always in a very logical order and sometimes she is a little bit confusing, but this is what makes her realistic. No girl can think carefully constructed thoughts and Sarah Mlynowski shows us what it might look like if we wrote down our own thoughts.

I loved the secondary characters of this novel as well. They were very well written and had unique character traits that contributed to the story. In my opinion, the love triangle Noah - April - Hudson could have been a little bit more detailed, especially since I really started liking Hudson. But for someone who isn't into love triangles it's probably the perfect dose.

What I didn't like was the lack of consequences for April and Vi's behaviour. I expected a huge finale where their parents found out what happened and the girls had to face the truth of what they really did, but it never came. In my opinion, it is somewhat unbelievable.
I also should warn you that the topic of losing your virginity / sex is approached very often. While it also deals with consequences of thoughtlessness, it might be too superficial or intimate for some, although I didn't mind.

All in all, Ten Things We Did was a cute story that you will devour very fast.



Did you read Ten Things We Did? What did you think about it?
Carina

1 comment:

  1. I really want this book, I dont know if I'm going to be able to wait the two months til its released in the UK! Thanks for making me want it even more!

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!