Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Review: Spellbound by Cara Lynn Shultz

Spellbound by Cara Lynn Shultz
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Release Date: June 28th, 2011
Pages: 384

Goodreads Summary:
What’s a girl to do when meeting The One means she’s cursed to die a horrible death?

Life hasn’t been easy on sixteen-year-old Emma Conner, so a new start in New York may be just the change she needs. But the posh Upper East Side prep school she has to attend? Not so much. Friendly faces are few and far between, except for one that she’s irresistibly drawn to—Brendan Salinger, the guy with the rock-star good looks and the richest kid in school, who might just be her very own white knight.

But even when Brendan inexplicably turns cold, Emma can’t stop staring. Ever since she laid eyes on him, strange things have been happening. Streetlamps go out wherever she walks, and Emma’s been having the oddest dreams. Visions of herself in past lives—visions that warn her to stay away from Brendan. Or else.



I received an eGalley of this novel via NetGalley. Thanks to Harlequin Teen for giving me a chance to read this. This did not influence my following opinion.



My Rating: 4.0 / 5

What I thought about it:
Spellbound was a very enjoyable and fast read with a storyline that sometimes made it impossible to stop reading. The story is told from Emma Conner's perspective and I really liked reading about what happened to her and how she felt. To me she was a very real character, whose behaviour is realistic and relatable. She isn't whiny even though horrible things have happened to her, but she also isn't terribly naive like some of the usual YA heroines. To be honest, one of  my favorite aspects of her was that she regularly uses nail polish and I'm quite a nail polish addict. I really like reading about the girly sides of a female (main) character, because sometimes they tend to be ignored.

I also enjoyed the aspect of reincarnation that was part of the story and the little glimpses of past lives. The backstory / legend Cara Lynn Shultz created was wonderful and moving and it was nice to see how it was incorporated into the presence. And even though we encounter the - for YA very usual - aspect of instant attraction, it has a deeper meaning in this story, which doesn't make their relationship unbelievable but very beautiful.

Emma's love interest Brendan is one of those fictional guys I'd love to meet in real life. Not only is he hot and a deejay, but he seems to be a very sweet boy and he would do anything for Emma without being one of those overly protective (and stalkerish) boyfriends.

All in all, Spellbound is a beautiful story about soulmates who have to overcome terrible obstacles to finally be together. At some points it might be a little bit predictable, but in the end Emma and Brendan's love made me smile.



Have you read Spellbound? What did you think about it?
Do you plan to read it?

You can also check out my 100-Followers-Giveaway.

Carina

4 comments:

  1. Good review. I just recently finished reading this one myself and have to post my own review on this later on in the week as well. :) I have some slightly different opinions ("quirks" so to speak) in some areas, but I still thought it was a good read. I had read it pretty quickly and didn't struggle through it, so that's always a plus. :P
    Anyways, I was just stopping by. Hope you're having a great week! ^^

    Pixie
    http://the-bookaholic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good review. You've made me interested in reading this. It sounds like a good read, with a good heroine in it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading this book. Glad you enjoyed it as well! Brenden is definitely swooooooonworthy! :) Awesome review, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The front cover to this book is beautifully weird :). Thank you for the review. Another book to add to my wish list. Thanks :)

    http://thebletheringbookworm.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!