Friday, June 24, 2011

Review: Linger by Maggie Stiefvater

Linger by Maggie Stiefvater
Publisher: Scholastic Press
First published on: July 13th, 2010
Pages: 368 (Paperback)

Previous book in the series: 
Shiver - my review 

Summary:
the longing.
Once Grace and Sam have found each other, they know they must fight to stay together. For Sam, this means reckoning with his werewolf past. For Grace, it means facing a future that is less and less certain.

the loss.
Into their world comes a new wolf named Cole, whose past is full of hurt and danger. He is wrestling with his own demons, embracing the life of a wolf while denying the ties of being human.

the linger.
For Grace, Sam, and Cole, life is a constant struggle between two forces - wolf and human - with love baring its two sides as well. It is harrowing and euphoric, freeing and entrapping, enticing and alarming. As their world falls apart, love is what lingers. But will it be enough?



My Rating: 5.0 / 5

What I thought about it:
Linger is a heartbreaking novel that once again proves Maggie Stiefvater's impeccable and poetic writing, which will drag you into this intense world of friendship, love and loss and won't let you go.

When I first started reading this, I doubted that it could be equal to the first novel Shiver, because this had already been perfect on its own. Therefore I have to admit that I got into this story very slowly, but after a few chapters I was completely sucked into it. Where I didn't expect to be any room for another storyline, Maggie Stiefvater came up with ideas that shocked me and will make the wait for the third novel Forever unbearable.

This time the story is again told from different perspectives. We still hear the voices of Sam and Grace and it's amazing to see how both characters have grown more complex. Sam still struggles with his werewolf-past and Grace is presented a very uncertain future she has to deal with while her parents are interfering with her present relationship. This is what I liked a lot: Her parents were finally confronted with the consequences of her daughter having been left alone in the past.

But there are two other characters that tell the story from their point of view as well: Isabel and Cole. The former had already been introduced in the first novel and it's really interesting to see how she feels. The latter is one of the new wolves that were brought to Mercy Falls and he struggles with his own problems while trying to figure out how to live his new life.

Just like in Shiver, the ending of this novel left me breathless. Everything led up to that point and the poetic and intense writing conveyed the main characters' feelings amazingly. 

If you haven't read this series yet, you should really get a copy of those novels. This is definitely one of my favorite YA-series out there and Maggie Stiefvater has become one of my favorite authors.






The third novel of the series
will be released on July 12th, 2011 by Scholastic Press.







Have you read the Wolves of Mercy Falls series? What did you think about it?
Carina

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I haven't read this one yet but I definitely will soon. I absolutely loved Shiver so I'm sure I'll love this one too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you enjoyed it. I didn't like it as much as Shiver, but it was still a good read. I'm really looking forward to reading Forever! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!