Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Review: Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma

Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma
Publisher: Simon Pulse
First published on: May 27th, 2010
Pages: 464

Goodreads Summary:
Seventeen-year-old Lochan and sixteen-year-old Maya have always felt more like friends than siblings. Together they have stepped in for their alcoholic, wayward mother to take care of their three younger siblings. As defacto parents to the little ones, Lochan and Maya have had to grow up fast. And the stress of their lives—and the way they understand each other so completely—has also also brought them closer than two siblings would ordinarily be. So close, in fact, that they have fallen in love. Their clandestine romance quickly blooms into deep, desperate love. They know their relationship is wrong and cannot possibly continue. And yet, they cannot stop what feels so incredibly right. As the novel careens toward an explosive and shocking finale, only one thing is certain: a love this devastating has no happy ending. 



I received an eGalley of this novel via Galley Grab. Thanks to Simon & Schuster for giving me a chance to read this. This did not influence my following opinion.



My Rating: 1.5 / 5

What I thought about it:

When I started to read Forbidden, I wanted to be one of those open-minded people who love this novel despite how it deals with a huge taboo. I wanted to feel incredibly moved by Lochan and Maya's relationship like so many other people had said in their reviews.

But now I have to admit that I had a hard time finishing this story. I'm someone who usually prefers lighter stories that make me happy. Of course every story has to have negative aspects (I prefer realistic storylines as well), but I need more than just one part that makes me smile. Sadly, Forbidden was full of negativity and bad things that happened to the main characters, which made it quite hard for me to stay interested in the story.

But of course the biggest problem for me was the incest. I have a little brother myself and was digusted by the whole concept. Before I started this novel, I had read so many amazing, positive reviews that made me hope I could like it despite the taboo of incest. And even though I can see how Maya and Lochan are more like parents to their younger siblings than brother and sister, how the circumstances of their lives have pushed them together, I just couldn't see them as a regular couple.

Their mother was another aspect that I thoroughly disliked. Of course she was supposed to play that part in this novel, but I think it's a bit unbelievable that there are no redeeming qualities about her. As I said before, I need realistic stories as well and to me she was a very flat character I could only hate.

All in all, Forbidden wasn't the right book for me. The writing itself was really nice, so I might take a look at other novels Tabitha Suzuma has written.



Have you read Forbidden? What did you think about it?
Carina

4 comments:

  1. Sorry you didn't enjoy this, but I can definitely see why. I read a little bit of the book, but did not have a chance to finish it. Thanks for sharing your honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you didn't like this. I've only ever heard good things about it. But hey, each to their own. Hopefully you;ll find another one of her books more to your liking. I'm planning on reading Forbidden really soon, the concept intrigued me, even if it does surround itself in a taboo criteria.
    -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it's sad you didn't like FORBIDDEN:( It has become one of my all time favourite books and I wrote a very long review(1200 words) on how much I loved it. I know the concept is some kind of provocing and should be disgusting, but I was only fascinated.
    Hope you'll try other novels by Suzuma!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! I remember seeing your review on goodreads and thinking.."thank goodness I am not alone" I thought there was like something wrong with me since I didnt enjoy this! Great review, its nice to finally read one that is on my side of the fence ahha (:

    OH and great blog!! (: You should make a button and I can put it on my page (:

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!