Friday, May 27, 2011

Review: Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr
Publisher: HarperTeen
First published on: June 12th, 2007
Pages: 328

Goodreads Summary:
Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries.
Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in mortal world. Aislinn fears their cruelty—especially if they learn of her Sight—and wishes she were as blind to their presence as other teens.
Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries.
Now faeries are stalking her. One of them, Keenan, who is equal parts terrifying and alluring, is trying to talk to her, asking questions Aislinn is afraid to answer.
Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention.
But it's too late. Keenan is the Summer King who has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. He is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost—regardless of her plans or desires.
Suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working anymore, and everything is on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; her life; everything.



My Rating: 3.0 / 5

What I thought about it:
For quite some time I didn't really know what to say about this book. I have not read too many books about fairies yet, but I often like them a lot. And when I heard so many good things about this series, I knew that I had to give it a chance. But I just can't figure out whether I like this or not.

My favorite part of this novel was Aislinn. She was a very likeable character and finally a female main character who makes her own decisions and doesn't let anyone else plan her life. It was refreshing to see her deal with the paranormal aspects of her life while dealing with her feelings for Seth.

But somehow the story and the atmosphere didn't captivate me and it was a book that I could easily put down to do something else. Sadly I cannot even say why - maybe because I expected it to be a little bit different. At some points it was a bit too dark for me and the fairies were somehow too inhuman.

All in all, I think this might be a good book for someone who likes very dangerous and dark fairy stories and a very strong heroine. While I wasn't blown away by this novel, I think it was a well written story and I'm sure that I will give the second book a chance to change my mind about the series.



Other books in the series:



Have you read Wicked Lovely / this series? What did you think about it?
Carina

2 comments:

  1. This book was only OK for me as well. I liked it, but I didn't really love it. I did read book 2&3 in the series, and still need to read 4&5. I had a hard time with book #2 as well, but book #3 was better.

    Thanks for sharing your honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started this book and it's my first faerie book. Hope I like it.

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!