Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Review: The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han

The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Released first on: May 5th, 2009
Pages: 276 (Paperback)

Goodreads Summary:
Belly measures her life in summers. Everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and August. Winters are simply a time to count the weeks until the next summer, a place away from the beach house, away from Susannah, and most importantly, away from Jeremiah and Conrad. They are the boys that Belly has known since her very first summer--they have been her brother figures, her crushes, and everything in between. But one summer, one terrible and wonderful summer, the more everything changes, the more it all ends up just the way it should have been all along. 



My Rating: 4.5 / 5

What I thought about it:
Once I've started reading The Summer I Turned Pretty I wanted to be at the beach immediately. I even felt like I could be there if I just closed my eyes and wished for it hard enough. With the first few pages, Jenny Han transported me back into all my memories of summer vacation, beaches and the typical fluttery-feeling-in-the-stomach-because-of-a-boy. And this is what I like so much about this novel - it feels so real. I can see this really happening and I want to be a part of this summer world. 

Those characters were real as well. In a way they are perfect, just because they are not perfect. They have flaws (ones that can really make you desperate sometimes) - just like real people have. Their feelings are portrayed perfectly as well. The concept of first love, anger at being rejected, jealousy and hope - this novel had everything and it felt heartbreakingly real. While I read this book I was part of Belly's world and I could completely sympathize with her confusions, worries and I was happy for her, when she was happy.

I'll definitely read the next two novels, but maybe I'll wait for my summer vacation to have the perfect location for it - I'll be at the beach. :) Or maybe I'll read them soon, because it might be difficult for me to wait to find out what will happen now.






The second novel of the series
was released on April 27th, 2010 by Simon & Schuster.










The third novel of the series
was released on April 26th, 2011 by Simon & Schuster.







Have you read The Summer I Turned Pretty? What did you think about it?
Carina

4 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this series. It looks interesting - I may have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful review. I really like the sound of the Summer trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome review! I have this book from the library, and I can't wait to start on it. I loooooove books like this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book was amazing! Personally, I thought it was better than just a beach read and I am soo sad that I read it in a day! I liked that this book was a fun,light, happy read but turns out to be a lot more than just that. I wasn't expecting to cry when I read this book and it takes a lot to make me cry when reading something! I think that the author did a really great job at developing the characters and making you feel like you know them and actually care about their story---especially Belly, she's such a fun/awkward/heartwarming character and you find yourself rooting for her.

    ReplyDelete

I read and love every single comment you leave, so thanks a lot for taking your time to let me know what you are thinking about this post! Feel free to leave a link to your blog, so I can check it out, too!
Carina

P.s.: This is a tag- and award-free blog. Thanks a lot for your consideration though!